• The New Comcast Center And Suburban Station

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

I heard that the soon-to-be tallest building in Philadelphia is going to include an extension of the Penn Center/Suburban Station concourse, with additional shopping areas and food court. Does anyone have any details on this? What all connections with Suburban Station will the new Comcast Center have?

by PearlJam1221

I'm not 100% sure of the details, but this is a photo of the lobby of CC and its "grand entrance" to the concourse.

by reldnahkram

SubwayTim wrote:I heard that the soon-to-be tallest building in Philadelphia is going to include an extension of the Penn Center/Suburban Station concourse, with additional shopping areas and food court. Does anyone have any details on this? What all connections with Suburban Station will the new Comcast Center have?
I'm pretty sure one of the new signs in Suburban points to the Comcast Center. I believe it connects in the vicinity of the 17th & JFK entrance, between the new mini mart and where the interim ticket office was.

by PearlJam1221

by wanderer34

The pics look marvelous!!! If only the commuter rail was extended to WEst Chester, Reading, Lehigh Valley, and Kennett Sq in the PA side, and the Jersey Shore (Ocean City, Cape May, Toms River), Vineland, Pennsville, Salem, Medford, and Mount Holly, that would make Phila the center of it's own region just like NYC is, transportation-wise, that is!!!

by amusing erudition

Philadelphia is the center of the region. Where would you say it is if not Philadelphia?

-asg

by drewh

There are many business centres in the area besides CC Philly. People dont go donwtown for shopping anymore either.

AC and Lehigh Valley have airports. AC also has entertainment.

The previous poster was talking transportation hub though.

by amusing erudition

And Philadelphia is not currently a transportation hub?

-asg

by drewh

Of course it is. The airport is a hub for US Air and Southwest.

I dont know that many people change trains at 30th St anymore though unless they are switching to Septa or possibly from points south to get to AC on NJT. So in that sense 30th St is not a large 'regional hub' anymore. That is not to say that it is not a very busy station, but that Septa doesn't really serve more than 35-40 miles out.

by ChrisinAbington

And the highways, ports, and freight lines don't qualify as transportation in this example? Philly is as fine of an example of a hub as just about anywhere else..?

by drewh

Im not really saying its not. Just pointing out how downtowns in general are no longer an areas only centre. This is true all across the country not just Philadelphia. Also was posting in response to Wanderer stating how nice it would be if the commuter rail went past the close in suburbs.