• The N-scale Kato F-40's Are In

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jmp883

Just got home from my hobbyshop with my new HO-scale GMC fishbowl bus and my new undecorated N-scale Kato F-40. What a little gem of an engine.

Bright white, directional, LED. Going forward not only are the numberboards and headlights lit but the 2 strobe lights on the roof also illuminate. Too bad they actually don't flash but it's still a nice effect. In reverse everything up front, including the roof strobes go out and just the rear lights illuminate.

Mechanically this has to be the quietest, smoothest-running engine Kato has ever done. You don't even need to use the 'Momentum' switch on your powerpack...this loco accelerates and slows down quite well without it.

Now to brush up on my airbrushing skills.....I have the Microscale NJT diesel decal sheet, I just need to paint the shell and apply the decals.

Another fine N-scale engine! :-D