• The Los Angeles Alameda Corridor

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

by lpetrich

The management and the railroads that participate in the Alameda Corridor (also in Wikipedia) seem pleased enough with it to be expanding it eastward into the San Gabriel Valley.

The Alameda Corridor is a 20-mile grade-separated line between Redondo Junction (downtown LA) and Long Beach, the middle 10 miles of which is a 3-track trench. It was built in a former Southern Pacific line, and both Union Pacific and BNSF now use it. It has been credited with reducing congestion on the nearby Long Beach Freeway (I-710), and it nowadays has 46 trains per day running in it, though it went as high as 60 trains per day in 2006.

However, the exhaust from its locomotives has been troublesome for nearby residents, and the Alameda Corridor's management has considered electrifying the line.

That eastward expansion is Alameda Corridor East. It currently features a lot of grade-crossing improvements between Redondo Jct. and Pomona of UP's LA - San Bernardino (Alhambra Sub) and LA - Riverside (Los Angeles Sub) lines.

Many of the improvements have been rather modest ones, though surprisingly effective ones, like installing raised medians to prevent drive-arounds and coordination with nearby traffic lights to allow traffic to depart from the tracks when a train comes.

But a few streets have gotten grade separations, and the LA-SB line is due to get a trench in the town of San Gabriel between Ramona St. and San Gabriel Blvd.

There was no discussion of CA HSR plans, even though it would follow the LA - SB line.

-

I know that Reno has a trench for the railroad line that goes through it, but have other cities set up freight corridors analogous to the Alameda Corridor?

And I think that this thread qualifies for this forum, because the Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority has AAR reporting mark ATAX, making it qualify as a short line.