Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Retroboy

I was looking on a site with all he LIRR stations. I became curious when i saw this:
BUILT: NOV-DEC/1872, CLOSED
WITH GRADE ELIMINATION AND
MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION: 1937

2ND, ELEVATED DEPOT BUILT: 1937,
REMODELED: 1987 WITH HI-LEVEL PLATFORM INSTALLATION.

What I am asking is, if the first station was moved and not eliminated. Then where is it? is it still around somewhere on the Island? Am i correct in that it would look just like the St. James Station?

:)
  by mwichten

If you go down Main Street in Smithtown to Elm Street, turn down Elm and take it to the end you will see the original Smithtown Station.

You can't possibly miss it. If you didn't know any better, you would look around for the rails in the weeds :) You are right, it looks very similar to the old St. James Station. I do not know if it is exactly yhe same

I will try to get over there this week to take a picture to post.

by Dave Keller

I believe the depot is on Lawrence Street, if I remember the name correctly. I photographed it back in the early 1970s.

Later owners put the old-style cement shingles over the clapboard sides. Other than that, everything looked the same. Even the broad overhanging eaves were left as original.

The style was very similar to St. James, but not the same. I don't believe, from memory, that Smithtown ever had a second storey as does St. James, therefore it was not as tall a depot as is St. James.

Dave Keller
  by mwichten

That is correct - the location is on Lawrence adjacent to the intersection of Lawrence and Elm.

by Retroboy

I looked at it today, its strange how i have passed it a million times and never knew that it was a train station. I am going to see if the Library has any pictures of the station being moved, whatever i find i will try to post.

by Paul

Wasn't there a round house and turntable there as well? I remember seeing the remenants of the water tower at the east end of the platform. Hey Retroboy. Do you go to Smithtown HS? If so, Please ask Sue Lee that Paul from Redlands Califormia sez drop me an email.

by Retroboy

Yes i do, but i do not know of Sue lee. What department is she in?

by Paul

English.