• The Atlantic City Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

Thats a great picture - the photographer is obviously fouling the tracks, while the son of the woman killed, is said to be "walking the tracks" in the photo caption.

Out of all those incidents I counted 10 that were either Trespassers or Suicides. 10 out of 21. Almost 50 percent.

Also, how many of those car accidents could have been prevented by not trying to run the gates? IIRC, the motorcyclist accident at Hendricks Ave could have been, and im sure there are a few more. In the lastest incident, the lady just froze, it seems.

BTW, Medic, this chart isn't from the line opening, its from 1999 to 2009. the ACL started operation in 1989
  by sixty-six

Not for nothing, but I wonder if the author of this article got flag protection for the pictures that were taken. Seems kind of odd to write an article about this when not following safety procedure yourself. Bartram Ave. isn't in one of the slower sections of the ACL.
  by transit383

From the article...
In the local public elementary schools, students assemble in the auditoriums each year to watch videos warning them not to play on the train tracks, while the police department constantly monitors whether train warnings are functioning correctly.
Maybe one of these elementary schools should invite the Press of Atlantic City to a safety assembly.
  by MedicSutton

Thanks JT.. That was a typo on my part.. My dad took me on one of the first trains.. I think if memory serves me correctly amtrak had been running the line 6 months to a year then.. Btw.. I think I saw on here one time that you are an engineer on the acl occasionally and let me tell you.. You guys do a damn fine job and keep up the good work.. I work nightwork in Paoli pa so I take the acl into 30th and the keystone to Paoli 3 out of 7 days a week..
  by cruiser939

Jtgshu wrote:Thats a great picture - the photographer is obviously fouling the tracks, while the son of the woman killed, is said to be "walking the tracks" in the photo caption.

Out of all those incidents I counted 10 that were either Trespassers or Suicides. 10 out of 21. Almost 50 percent.

Also, how many of those car accidents could have been prevented by not trying to run the gates? IIRC, the motorcyclist accident at Hendricks Ave could have been, and im sure there are a few more. In the lastest incident, the lady just froze, it seems.

BTW, Medic, this chart isn't from the line opening, its from 1999 to 2009. the ACL started operation in 1989
Looking at the chart, how can there be a "pedestrian fatal accident"? If you get hit by a train, then you are fouling the tracks. If you are fouling the tracks, then you are TRESPASSING. That's just simple math.
  by Jtgshu

I was thinking the same thing, but thats how they broke it down......

OR

maybe the train was like the one in Wrongfully Accused and was hiding behind bushes :)

thanks for the kind words Medic, but I don't get down to AC too often, and usually when I do get down there, its on the lovely ACES trains......usually at 2 or 3 in AM - grrrrrrrr but the AC Line does work pretty well when things don't "go south" (pun inteneded - hahahah)
  by MedicSutton

On the plains of Camden county.. The train stalks it's pray.. Listen.. They talk about black bears heading south into the pines.. Perhaps it's the GEEPs, P40s, and CIV cab cars we should be worried about.. I love how on the first days of operation somebody purposefully drives around the gates and is welcomed to the buisness end of a locomotive.. Then someone is quoted as saying" this line is a killer".. Well.. Ok.. Can somebody please tell me why someone can't be responsible after Knowingly Disregaurding a signal.. It is not a 4 way stop sign.. Down here we have a girl by the name of Gabrielle who tragicly lost her life when her friends quad got lodged on the tracks.. She was then struck by the Quad after the train struck it trying to get away.. Her parents have not blamed the railroad and accept the fact that those kids should have never been on the tracks..
  by MedicSutton

Should be an active week on the ACL this week.. Already 1 or 2 six car CIV sets up and running.. Train into Philly this afternoon had 5 cars open with cab car closed.. Very packed.. I'm assuming this is the pre curser to wednsday..
  by Matt Johnson

What's happening on Wednesday?
  by Matt Johnson

jimzim66 wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:What's happening on Wednesday?
Air show
Sweet! I might have to check that out!
  by MedicSutton

Matt Johnson wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:What's happening on Wednesday?
Air show
Sweet! I might have to check that out!
Yea.. It's definitly worth it.. You sit your ass in the water and watch some of the best flying in the world.. I did it last two years.. Usually attracts a few hundred thousand people.. I can't make it this year unfortunatly.. Gotta work in the city..
  by nomis

I'm taking my inaugural Atlantic City round trip (on 4679, as we speak) and was wondering if flagging for the McClellan Ave crossing (MP 16.7) was normal, or if something is amiss ...
  by BuddSilverliner269

Hi Nomis, hope yuo enjoyed your trip. Under normal circumstances, no flagging of the grade crossing are the norm but I will wager a bet that with the storms that we have had the past day, that the crossing isnt working because of a lightning strike. The metal shacks for each crossing are nice targets for lightning.Haha :P
  by blockline4180

Hopefully I'll be on train #7176 tonight... I'm guessing this is the last train to NY for the night.