• The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities)

  • Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

  • 509 posts
  • 1
  • 30
  • 31
  • 32
  • 33
  • 34
  by Cosmo
 
steamer69 wrote:
I'm not going that far yet....painting a couple of window frames doesn't change my mind completely, nore does it prove that they have been doing continuose work on it (or the entire collection for that matter)...and I still have some huge reservations with them taking on a project like Frankinengine with all of these other needs in the pipeline. That being said....
Far enough, but make sure you include the additional painting and cab restoration in your assessment. They've done a bit more than just "painting a couple of window frames," is all I'm saying.
steamer69 wrote: I did say that I am guardedly optimistic....that should be enough for now. At least they are slowly starting to prove me wrong, which is much better than continuing to let the collection rot. I am more than willing to give credit where credit is due....case in point. Nothing would make my crow taste better than for them to prove me wrong and actually get these publicized projects done.
On that we can agree.
steamer69 wrote: Remains to be seen, but moving in a different direction than the one they have been on.....
Again, fair enough. Let's try encouraging them in that direction. :wink:
steamer69 wrote: That depends on what one would view as wasteful....but my mind is being changed with the change to a more realistic (and more fiscally responsable) paint for the tank car....
Cosmo wrote:It'll make the beer that Brett buys me taste better if it's shared in sweetness rather than bitterness.
If you want some sweet sugary Beer that's all up to you, but if I'm coming all the way down there for a beer.....give me my vitamin G! ;-P[/quote]
Vitamin G tastes sweet on the first sip, but has a bitter aftertaste. My only point is that there's plenty enough bitter occuring naturally in Vitamin G without adding to it.
Sliante :wink:
  by markhb
 
I really hate to jump into this thread, but the photo I posted a while ago (probably in the MMA thread) of an old 470 Club excursion train makes me wonder: is the 470 planning any excursion runs this summer or fall? That, I might be interested in (although I realize it probably wouldn't be as impressive a trip as that photo); historic preservation isn't my passion so I'm respectfully staying out of the rest of this discussion. TIA for any info.

Oh, one more thing ;-)
Image
  by Cosmo
 
You know, maybe they could make an arrangement similar to the one LERRO Productions is doing here on the Valley; that is, the proceeds from advanced ticket sales would help pay for insuring the equipment necessary for a photo freight was operable and presentable for the trip, as well as costs of any "special moves."
This is ONE way in which "railfans" WOULD be "paying the bills." :wink:
  by steamer69
 
That would be one short foto freight. Maybe you could call it a foto local....or a foto this is all the cars we could find.....
  by steamer69
 
4 cars and an engine. and one passenger car tacked on for good measure..... WOOO HOOO! That's got me wanting to drive hours to get there, not to mention having to pay for the gas, and food, and the ticket, and.....never mind. I'll just walk out my back door and watch the foto freights go by for free.....
  by Cosmo
 
steamer69 wrote:4 cars and an engine. and one passenger car tacked on for good measure..... WOOO HOOO! That's got me wanting to drive hours to get there, not to mention having to pay for the gas, and food, and the ticket, and.....never mind. I'll just walk out my back door and watch the foto freights go by for free.....
Well, that's about what we put together up at the WW&FRR, and people bought tickets, came out, took photos etc....
I mean, hey, ok, might not look like much to someone just standing beside the tracks with an Instamatic, but I've seen the results of what these camera guys can do with their equipment and just "whatever's laying around the yard."
Recreating historic shots, night shoots, staged meets... the list goes on.
Also,...
I bet if they put 7470 on the head pin of that freight you'd come on out. :wink:
I'm sure if 470 and CSRX were approached by someone like Pete Lerro, they'd find all KINDS of ways to make "interesting shots" for his group.
[FOR THE RECORD, such a venture would need to be a JOINT CSRX/470 venture with whomever sponsors the trip. That should be such a "given" as to be a "no brainer," but... well...]
  by snowskier
 
Lerro has been there before and CSRR has always done a great job with the 470's freight equipment. 4-5 cars makes a nice local freight, perfect for photos!
  by steamer69
 
That's a nice shot snowskier.
Cosmo wrote:I bet if they put 7470 on the head pin of that freight you'd come on out.
How can you even say something like that.....you know how I feel about the defurred maintenance program on that engine.....
Cosmo wrote:Well, that's about what we put together up at the WW&FRR, and people bought tickets, came out, took photos etc....
You can't really even put the WW&F and CSRX/470 in the same sentance. I come to the WW&F for two, three, four cars. But then again the "suck" factor at WW&F is extreemly low, and....well....it's the WW&F. And I'm not worried about Jason and crew blowing up #10......
  by Cosmo
 
steamer69 wrote:That's a nice shot snowskier.
Cosmo wrote:I bet if they put 7470 on the head pin of that freight you'd come on out.
How can you even say something like that.....you know how I feel about the defurred maintenance program on that engine.....
Cosmo wrote:Well, that's about what we put together up at the WW&FRR, and people bought tickets, came out, took photos etc....
You can't really even put the WW&F and CSRX/470 in the same sentance. I come to the WW&F for two, three, four cars. But then again the "suck" factor at WW&F is extreemly low, and....well....it's the WW&F. And I'm not worried about Jason and crew blowing up #10......
Well man, you know, you're entitled to your own opinion on that, but apparently a LOT of other people just simply do not share your fears on that.
  by steamer69
 
Well, they say ignorance is bliss. Must be a LOT of blissful people then. I'd be more than happy to show you the FRA reports.
  by Cosmo
 
Ok, well 1) Those reports arent stopping them from running it NOW. (And I'm pretty sure the FRA has inspected them since those reports were filed,
and 2) I think this is a conversation better suited for the CSRX thread.
  by b&m 1566
 
Cosmo, steamer, you are starting to beat on a horse that's been pulverized! ;-)
  by atsf sp
 
The horses pulverized bones/hooves already made it to the Elmers factory half a year ago.
  • 1
  • 30
  • 31
  • 32
  • 33
  • 34