• That Elmira Branch Thread...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nessman

My understanding is that the PRR Sodus Branch did not have a connection to the Hojack line (other than the diamond - but there was no interchange between the two) nor did they have a connection to the NYC mainline through Newark.

These connections were put into place likely around the time of the 1979 abandonments of the Hojack and creation of the OMID (I'll admit that it's speculation - but makes sense).

Check the study on my website from 1971.

by BR&P

Les - I agree there was no NYC - PRR connection at Newark. Wallington is another matter - although it was never a major interchange point, I seem to recall there was a physical connection there but not positive. I have seen a photo of the PRR car shop in the north-west quadrant and think one track joined with the NYC. It should be noted that when Rt 104 was put in with a new configuration, (1960's??) it occupied the place of the former diamond, and the present diamond, now unused, is actually south of the former crossing.

I have a NYC list of stations from 1943 which notes of Wallington "Pennsylvania RR crossing". There is no mention of connection, however the same book has a similar note on Sterling - "LV RR crossing" and there was a connection there. So I guess that particular book is of no help here.

by chnaus

It appears that there was considerable activity at Wallington 100 years ago. Check this map.

http://docs.unh.edu/NY/plmy02ne.jpg

by roadster

Less & BR&P
Yes there was a conection between the PRR and the NYC West Shore in Newark up untill the '68 merger. The PRR had a small yard on Murray st., in Newark and a connector track ran from this yard across Murray st. to the West Shore yard adjacent to VanBuren St. just north of the NYS Barge canal. After '68 the local PC job switched several industries along both sections after the merger, including the Marion branch. Sorry about the Xerox misconception, I recall seing various car types at the Webster site in the "70's" and believed they were being utilized for those purposes. The Newark Info. is direct knowledge. I grewup there in the 60's, track maps and info are available through the local and Wayne County Historical society's. There was also a connection between the NYC mains north of Newark and the PRR in the form of a track diverging from the PRR to the south and east and connecting the the NYC mains along the sidng between mp 340 and 342. However this has little to do with the Hojack. Nuff said.

by roadster

Reference PRR and NYC West Shore connection at Newark, NY in Andover Junction Publications, "Pennsylvania Railroad's Elmira Branch", by Bill Caloroso. Fact not speculation.

by BR&P

Roadster is right about the West Shore connection - I was speaking of the NYC main line and totally forgot about the Shore. In fact, at one time there were two yards on the West Shore, one east of the old PRR where the connection was, and another west of Rt 88. I believe this was called the West Yard (naturally enough) and there was a scale there.

As for the main line, the PRR had a wye south of Welcher Road, which actually is still there as of a few years ago although not connected to the OMID/CSX connection. The connection uses one leg, the other two are east of that connection and covered with brush, unless they have been removed in the last few years. I do not believe that wye ever connected to the NYC but it's possible.

So Roadster, two facts - 1) the Central DID connect with the PRR at least on the Shore, and 2) my feeble brain plum forgot about it! That one's on me.

Any known photos of the West Shore yards in their more active days? And maybe we should see if Otto can manipulate the electrons to start this as a separate thread as we're admittedly getting away from the Hojack (by about 13 miles) but it would be worth keeping this Newark topic alive to see what other info we can find.

by roadster

Nice work Otto, the Newark thread lives!! LOL
BR&P I'll check with the local historical society and see what photo's they may have. About 20 years ago a local paper"The Wayne County Star" regularly published old photo's of the area including the Railroad activities. I recall seeing a pic. of the West Shore taken from what I believe was the PRR embankment just north of the NYS Barge Canal. I have fond memories of the PRR sw1 switching the Newark yard next to Murray st, then troddling up the Marion branch, which ran along the North side of Pearl st to the west before turning towards the Northwest. There's also a Boxcar sitting next to a small manufactorer along the old PRR ROW just south of East Miller st. I believe it's former PRR but it's painted all white now and used for storage.

by BR&P

The white car at Palmer Distributing is an old FGEX reefer if I recall. The floods in 1972 partially submerged cars in various yards across the northeast. Some were reefers which had their fuel tanks fill up with water and silt. Not all were considered repairable and were sold for storage, scrap, etc. Can't swear to the accuracy, but I heard that the two cars Palmer had were in that category.