• Thanksgiving Week Extras

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by chuchubob

On Sunday I saw three of the four commuter trainsets that Amtrak leased for Holiday Extras.

NJT Arrow III emu's as train 3143
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/u ... -27+15.jpg

MARC HHP-8 4910 with six MARC coaches
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/u ... -27+30.jpg

Jersey Arrows as train 3095
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/u ... -27+47.jpg

In 6.5 hours at Frankford Junction on Sunday I saw 34 Amtrak trains, 12 SEPTA trains, five NJT trains, one Amtrak light engine move, and one CSX freight train. That's an average of a train every 7.5 minutes. Photos of all these trains (except the southbound Silver Star, that was blocked by a NJT train that stopped in front of us waiting for a signal to enter the Corridor) are in this album:

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/u ... ob/FkdJct/

Bob
  by mkellerm

With Thanksgiving week underway, I'd be interested in any observations about how Amtrak is performing away from the NEC. I've been casually checking availability on the Cascades and the routes out of Chicago. Availability seems particularly tight on the Cascades, with many trains sold out on Wednesday and Sunday. Several of the Michigan trains were sold out a few days ago, but now have seats available. Are these just cancellations, or is Amtrak really adding capacity to the plan this late in the game?

by benltrain

Either could be true. Amtrak does say "EXTRA CARS ADDED!" on their homepage, but there could alos be cancellations.

by AMTK1007

Hiawatha Update:

329(21) Departed Chicago with a Horizon Food Service car on the west end as an extra coach.

will operate on 329-332-333-336-337-340-341 today then flip to 330-331-334-335-338-339-342 tomorrow.

I do not know if the other set HAS 5 cars or will get it's 5th car tonight when 342 goes to the yard. I would expect that set to also receive a food service car in lieu of a coach.

by Jersey_Mike

Cars have been going west for an extra non-Talgo Cascade train. One was on Train 49 two weeks ago and two more on 51 the following day.

by Tadman

I noticed the late afternoon michigan train headed east at Ogden Dunes about 6pm with more horizons than usual. However, the early Missouri train (KC-STL) had only two coaches and a cafe (plus twin P42s, talk about fast acceleration).

by StevieC48

In 1986 I believe I took a MBTA C/R tran set from New Haven,Conn to Boston MA, cab foward. This was bacause of the Thanksgiving Holiday. Does Amtrak still practice this "borrowing equipmnet" during peak travel during Holiday season. If so would be intrested to know or see pics if this happens again.But just to think mabe a 8 car train of K-Cars to New Haven. LOL

by DutchRailnut

The Kawasaki's are not cleared for MNCR at New Haven so that won't happen. but yes Amtrak will lease commuter equipment again.
Conndot/VRE cars and P42 maybe I a m sure the south end of NEC will see lots of commuter equipment.

by StevieC48

Thanks for the info.
  by AMTK1007

Wednesday PX511 will run with a doubled up set of Amfleet/Horizon cars, Half the set will turn back to Seattle on PX514

Thursday PX505 and PX502 will each run with an Amfleet/ Horizon set

No PXs Friday.

Saturday there will be a PX 502 and PX505. Each set running one way.

Sunday there us a PX502, PX511,PX512,and PX514 PX511 and PX514 will run with one setSEA-PDX-SEA while PX502 and PX515 run with the other set PDX-SEA-PDX. Look for this set to deadhead to Seattle on Monday.. don't know if it will be combined with another train or a seperate move.. Maybe cut in on the head end of 14?

Jersey_Mike wrote:Cars have been going west for an extra non-Talgo Cascade train. One was on Train 49 two weeks ago and two more on 51 the following day.
  by jfrey40535

I've been keeping tabs on the other forums regarding extra moves that are scheduled this weekend. I was hoping to get a chance to get lots of pictures of other 'Road's equipment in the Philadelphia area this weekend. Aside from what's on the timetables, would anyone like to offer their suggestions as far as the best places and times for catching foreign equipment in the area this weekend?

Its a given that anywhere on the NEC should yeild some good opportunities. I'd like to get some pictures in on the Harrisburg line between Malvern & Lancaster as well. Is there any way of knowing if Amtrak will use borrowed equipment on this line over the weekend?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

by josciak

Think they are using some SEPTA equipment on the Harrisburg Line.
Hope this helps, Joe O.
  by pennstation

This train departs New York Penn Station at 5:10 PM every weekday night.

I actually sat by myself in a double pair of seats all the way on my trip from Penn Station to 30th ST Thanksgiving eve, as did many others on my coach. I spoke with the conductor for a brief bit while I was waiting to depart at 30th ST, and he told me he was shocked at the lack of people.

This train is usually jam packed every Friday night, which is when I usually take it.

I can think of three reasons why this train wasn't crowded...

A: Most of the regular commuters who frequent this train took the day off.

B: Amtrak fares finally got jacked up too much for people to justify taking them instead of NJT-Septa on a holiday, and people went to alternative means of transport... (Now that Thanksgiving Eve is over I look forward to a discussion of these historical fares)

C: Amtrak may have not sold as many reserved tickets for this particular train because of the end route to Harrisburg and the need to maintain reserved seats NYP-PHL.

Still I am shocked. This is the first time in a decade I've ridden a rush hour Amtrak train between New York and Philadelphia and encountered empty seats. Past experience has been people standing in the aisles.
Last edited by pennstation on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by jp1822

As a frequent rider of this train also, this is surprising. But as mentioned, this train is often patronized by Philly-NYP (and intermediate point) commuters, often on Amtrak monthly passes. Likely that man of the Amtrak monthly pass holders took the day off or caught an earlier train, adn this train was below the radar screen for most, as it just runs NYP to Philly on the NEC before making the trip out to Harrisburg. Wonder how crowded the train was from Philly to Harrisburg.

I caught a train home from Penn Station around 1 p.m. and the station was not all that bad - I recall it being much more crowded last year, particularly with people heading to Newark Airport. Even at 1 p.m. I had a double seater to myself - heading to NJ.

by spencer8b75

As a former Amtrak Ticket Agent I have to agree that these new fares are ridiculously high. I rode train #649 from NYP to Trenton today to pick up a friend and I was too surprised with the low ridership..There were however alot of people on the Trenton platfrom waiting on Septa. I returned from Trenton to New Rochelle on train #148 which also had plenty of vacant seats. I found a ticket stub in the pouch in back of a seat where a person paid a whopping $128.00 to travel coach from Washington DC to NYP (YOF1 Fare). Thats way too much. I am surprised with all the job abolishments and service cutbacks that the fares are still this high..I wonder what people paid to fly from Washington to New York today on a shuttle flight. I think if it were not for the security hassels at the airports,, ridership would have been lower today.....