• Test Report, so to speak.

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by jg greenwood

I recently had the pleasure of operating a pair of the BNSF's newest power: a pair of ES44AC's (BNSF 5952/5956) in distributed-power mode.
These were attached to an empty coal train: 0X130-3376-7360'
Great ergonomics. I'm only 5'9" tall and I had no trouble reaching all controls, buttons, etc.
These units are equipped with the conventional control-stand. An interesting feature is two sets of buttons for the horn, horn-sequencer, bell and alerter-reset. One set is on the control-stand, the other on the short desk-top to the front of the engineer's seat. The engineer's seat (cloth covered?) are very comfortable. I didn't notice any adjustable lumbar support though. There's also an adjustable foot-rest below the seats. I haven't noticed these on other BNSF power. Directly above the engineer's desk-top are two screens, one for the lead-unit, the other for the d.p. unit.
I found the fact that there's no speedometer above the conductor's desk a bit strange. IIRC, the BNSF requires their conductors to complete a signal awareness form. Again, IIRC, some signals require the speed to be entered on these forms. Seems a conductor's speedometer would almost be mandatory on all new units.?
Dynamic brakes: Outstanding, these bad-boys will stand you on your head.
As is usually the case, being GE's, they're a tad-bit slow to load. On mostly level terrain, 0-40mph. was accomplished in 1'45". Top-speed, against a very strong cross-wind, was a respectable 57-mph. I'm sure everyone is aware of the considerable wind-drag commonplace to empty coal-hoppers . The conductor with me had been on this same power/train the previous day when he delivered the loaded train to the power-plant. They were a skosh-bit over 19,000 tons and according to him, they handled this tonnage with no problems.
I'm looking forward to operating more of these "newbies." The older BNSF SD-70MAC's are still good units, they're getting a bit long in the tooth though.

by roadster

HHHmmm, interesting, I've operated these loco's on CSX and tho simularly outfitted, myself and most engineers in my district have been disappointed with the GEVO's performance. Sluggish and slow at throttle response and slow to respond to dynamic application. The older CW44AC's are much more responsive. Most GE's due have a moment of reaction time, but the GEVO's seems to be a bit long. I pretty much figured it's new technologie and needs to have a few bugs worked out yet.

by UPRR engineer

Those new GE's are sweet aint they? Heres something to think about, insted of referring them to being sluggish, have you noticed how smooth they are? ALOT of that "axle hopping" in the ride is gone. There is no bugs :wink: its a nice smooth ride, you just have to give it a little more time to grab and look a bit father down the tracks when changing from power to dynamic. All that AC power had a very good DC ride quality about it.
Running those new EMD motors aint bad eather. :wink:

by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, JG, having run both the 44AC and the 44DC'c, My opine is they still are GE's. (read junk) EXTREMELLY slow to load, rattles and squeeks when brand new, cab trim parts falling off, etc. The sound from these new units also takes some getting used to. Kinda of reminds me of an original Indian Chief motoercycle, running through stock pipes. I run them in grain train service, and unit potash, both conventionaly, and DP'ed, and I still preffer SD series units, of any type 40 or higher. I had a brand new (only 4000 miles on the odometer) SD-70MAC, NS unit last trip, and it did the majority of the work, under 30 mph. On the return trip, it was trailing unit, behing a trio of BN Pumpkins, and I could feel it shoving the consist, every time I added some notches. If GE ever figured out how to make a locomotive MOVE, and not rattle itself apart, I would feel sorry for EMD. In theory, it's a well though out loco, but it's slow loading, and the fact it is assembled with the same quality, and consistancy of many cereal box prizes, or party favors, and I will continue to despise finding one, in the lead, of MY consists. Also, that NS 70MAC had the very cool "normal" control stand. (as did the 44AC, but alas, it's a GE) I felt like I was running, not sitting at a desk, playing a video game. Kudos to NS, and their insistance on forcing their engineers to operate backwards. Comes in handy, on those new units...... :-D

by jg greenwood

UPRR engineer wrote:Those new GE's are sweet aint they? Heres something to think about, insted of referring them to being sluggish, have you noticed how smooth they are? ALOT of that "axle hopping" in the ride is gone. There is no bugs :wink: its a nice smooth ride, you just have to give it a little more time to grab and look a bit father down the tracks when changing from power to dynamic. All that AC power had a very good DC ride quality about it.
Running those new EMD motors aint bad eather. :wink:
I recently had a BNSF d.p. coal train with a SD-70MAC on each end. The lead unit would jump and leap about so violently that it would cease loading. The only way I could get this cretin moving was to put up the fence, have the rear unit shoving in the 6th. or 7th. notch and have the lead unit in no more than the 2nd. notch. Finally got this nightmare moving and took the fence down after reaching 20-mph or so. No problems thereafter. The BNSF mindset is a pair of 70-MACS can pull/move anything! For the most part they can. But, even they have their limitations!

by slchub

Hey JG, thanks for the info! I'll have to try that next time I have a dog DPU with 70's on either end. Do you prefer the older box on top or the new built in screen method as far as controlling the rear motor? I prefer the old box on top myself.

by David Benton

Put up a fence ??

by UPRR engineer

The "fence" is how you control the DP units buddy, "you put it up" then you can operate the rear consists differently then the lead motors. What slc was talking about, you push buttons on this box that is mounted on the desk top. Its pretty neat, you move the "fence" (on the screen) in between the controlling locomotives and then you push a sequence of buttons to manipulate the DP motor or motors. On the newer units the DP commands are built into the locomotive display

by jg greenwood

slchub wrote:Hey JG, thanks for the info! I'll have to try that next time I have a dog DPU with 70's on either end. Do you prefer the older box on top or the new built in screen method as far as controlling the rear motor? I prefer the old box on top myself.
Actually, I also prefer the Harris box. Problem is, when we get the empties back from the P&L at Paducah, the whole consist/train is often turned wrong. We have to knock both ends down and re-link them. We're up the river without a paddle when there's only one Harris box and it's locked up. Same situation when the mechanical guys have the radios locked down. :(
  by UPRR engineer

jg greenwood wrote: Dynamic brakes: Outstanding, these bad-boys will stand you on your head.
"Hang on....im gonna try to put ya threw the window" Me moving more lite power around then anyone else here at RR.net i can tell you it is like that. LOL :wink: Down shifting too low when you shouldnt.....from 5th to 1st... or maybe putting it in reverse....thats what thoses AC can feel like......HA HA HA

by UPRR engineer

Sorry about the big pic, but theres a good view of the harris box in which you move the fence. A hog can push all those buttons and get the DP's to do a bunch of stuff. I have the fence up all the time, every where, thats just me.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Tue May 16, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jg greenwood

David Benton wrote:Put up a fence ??
Straight from the book.
(UPRR Distributed Power Guide For System Locomotives)
There are times that operating conditions make it desirable to operate one or more remote consists in a different throttle or dynamic brake position from that of the lead unit. This is called independent operation, sometimes referred to as "putting up the fence" because of the appearance of the fence-like separator line (in the computer screen for the d.p. unit).

by David Benton

wow , technology is certainly advancing . thanks for the explanations .

by jg greenwood

David Benton wrote:wow , technology is certainly advancing . thanks for the explanations .
Distributed power is an amazing invention! Along with the benefits of reducing in-train forces with power on each end, the braking distance of d.p. trains compared to conventional trains are considerably shorter. The brakes are setting on both ends when you make a brake-pipe reduction. Dynamic braking is also more effective for the same reason. As great as this technology is, occasional problems do exist. On long, curvy hills the comm. with the rear unit is often lost. This loss usually lasts for only a few seconds and has no ill-effects upon operations. Long tunnels are a different story. We are told to isolate the rear unit before entering these tunnels. If you lose comm. with the rear unit and have occasion to set the air, the d.p. unit sees this as an unintentional release. If another reduction of a least 10-lbs. more than the initial set isn't initiated, the d.p. unit goes into emergency. If this happens, the only alternative is to hike back to the rear-end and re-set the d.p. unit. This isn't the most pleasant option when the rear-end of your train is in a tunnel full of poisonous fumes.
I did a little experimenting recently with a BN load. I was curious as to how soon I could be in the company notch-8. At 7-mph we were wide open. Try that with all the power on the head-end of a coal train and someone will most likely be packing iron. :(

by UPRR engineer

jg greenwood wrote:
I was curious as to how soon I could be in the company notch-8. At 7-mph we were wide open.
jg???? Im shocked there ol' buddy. Did i rub off on you any buddy.....SKINNER BACK. Were all of your RR buddies outside the crew office to see you throw down all those horses. GOOD JOB DUDE... IM PROUD OF YOU!!!!