• T plans to wire tunnels for cell service

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Ron Newman

The benefit of being able to report emergencies while underground far outweighs the infinitesimal risk that someone will somehow use a cellphone as part of a terrorist attack.

by Plaidline

Not to stray too far off topic, but the Big Dig is largely wired. My Cingular GSM phone works all the way through the Ted Williams and all of 93 downtown.

by trigonalmayhem

Ron Newman wrote:The benefit of being able to report emergencies while underground far outweighs the infinitesimal risk that someone will somehow use a cellphone as part of a terrorist attack.
True, but do we really need to hear people gabbing about the private lives ALL through the system?

It's bad enough on the parts of the system above ground.

Again, though, I suppose the potential to report things probably outweighs the annoyance.

by CJ

Not trying to say much, but if your semi-decent terrorist can make a cellphone rigged bomb, its easy to make one on a timer (you could still use a cell phone, rig it so wehn the speaker goes off it activates the bomb.., same thing with calling a cell phone really) .. i really dont see how this changes anything.. if not it may be more annoying for those loud talkers out there :)