• T on Marathon Monday

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Who will make it faster from BC to Copley Square?

A marathon runner
50%
A "B Green line" trolley
30%
A "B Green line" trolley with the pilot stop elimination program
20%
  by jumbotusk

Does the C line run during the marathon, while it comes down Beacon? Do they add service? Run less service? How does the T handle it. Of course, their website doesn't say a word.

Oh, and a shout out to my bud, the Moderataour, for keeping it real on this site.

-------------
Participant, and Marathon runner, MBTA Forum.

by ckb

Ok, I know this is silly, but I was motivated to find the scheduled time from cleveland circle to copley.

Its 37 minutes for a B-line train from Chestnut Hill

Its 28 minutes for a C-line train from Cleveland Circle.

Its 23 minutes for a D-line train from Reservoir (but an extra quarter for the 5-minute savings)

The total distance is about 3.82 miles.

Last years top finisher ran the course in 2 hours, 10 minutes (wow!), putting him at almost exactly 5 minute miles. Thus, marathon runners can, in fact, beat the Green Line service. Of course if all a Green Line trolley was trying to do was make it from Cleveland Circle to Copley as quickly as possible, with no stops and traffic closed off, it would surely beat the runners.

by efin98

Considering the amount of people transported along the B and C Lines before, during, and after the marathon and considering that service does NOT stop at any point during the marathon on the two lines you ought to be grateful.

And that includes the loss of movements to and from Resevoir Yard for the majority of the day on the those lines, the loss of feeder bus routes away from the main stations along the route, and the loss of a major station for the entire day.

by Ron Newman

The C line runs during the Marathon. I saw it running yesterday while riding my bicycle along the route (on the side of the road where the runners weren't).

The non-revenue Chestnut Hill Avenue trackage is of course totally unusable during this event.

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:The C line runs during the Marathon. I saw it running yesterday while riding my bicycle along the route (on the side of the road where the runners weren't).
The B was running as well, albeit with slower speeds coming out of Boston College due to crowds. Not an easy task- but still in service none the less...
The non-revenue Chestnut Hill Avenue trackage is of course totally unusable during this event.
One benefit of the loss of that trackage access Resevoir from the C Line: more trains in service on all lines and even shuttles between North Station and Government Center after rush hour. Hard to complain about that...

by Ron Newman

I was actually referring to the non-revenue track connecting the B and C lines.

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:I was actually referring to the non-revenue track connecting the B and C lines.
And I was talking about that and the the rest of the length to Resevoir