• Syracuse Psgr Station @ East Syracuse

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by urrengr2003

When the 'new' station opened in East Syracuse two new CP's (Controlled Points) were established adjacent to the east & west ends of the station. These were called CP SE & CP SW respectively. Who & from what location were these CP's controlled? It is my recollection that the TCS machine @ Utica did not go west of Kirkville: CP-35.
  by RSD15

CP SE and CP SW were controlled by the operator at GS,located at clark street east syracuse.
  by shlustig

"GS" controlled CP's- SE, SW, CL, JG, and SJ.

Board was eventually moved to Utica c. 1985.
  by Noel Weaver

shlustig wrote:"GS" controlled CP's- SE, SW, CL, JG, and SJ.

Board was eventually moved to Utica c. 1985.
Question for SHL, When that board was moved to Utica was there still a separate operator or dispatcher for the CP's in
the Syracuse area? When I made my very first trips in the summer of 1987 from Selkirk to Buffalo it seems to me that the
crews were using the phrase "Utica Operator" or something of that sort. I think by the time I qualified on the Mohawk with
AD, also a very good friend, this territory was just under the Mohawk Dispatcher and the Mohawk Dispatcher had direct
control of all of the CP's in Syracuse.
It doesn't seem possible that it was 22 years ago this summer that I was doing that. I have NO REGRETS going from Metro-
North to Conrail that fall though.
Next week at this time I will be up in that neck of the woods.
Noel Weaver
  by shlustig

Noel,

You are correct. When "GS" came to Utica, the operator came with it. IIRC, that lasted until the Utica office was combined with Springfield at the new Albany Division office at selkirk in 1988. At that time, the dispatching territories were rearranged, and "GS" operator was eliminated.
  by Noel Weaver

shlustig wrote:Noel,

You are correct. When "GS" came to Utica, the operator came with it. IIRC, that lasted until the Utica office was combined with Springfield at the new Albany Division office at selkirk in 1988. At that time, the dispatching territories were rearranged, and "GS" operator was eliminated.
SHL, Thanks for that. I am leaving this am for that neck of the woods for a week or two. I don't expect to stop in at
Selkirk but will be watching them pass through Vooheesville while have Friday night fish fry at the V'ville Diner next Friday
evening.
Noel Weaver
  by Jack Shufelt

I was a little curious on the operator position at Utica and pulled out some old CR ETT's. The Utica Dispatchers office was moved to Selkirk in 1987 per GO No. 107, Effective October 25, 1987 to CR ETT No. 1 of April 27, 1986. Likely, the actual move date was made some time between GO No. 106 of June 28, 1987 and GO No. 107. The TD's at Springfield were moved at the same time. It appears to me that the operator position at Utica was eliminated some time before the move to Selkirk as noting is stated in GO 107 regarding the elimination of that function. It seems as though I recall seeing a date on when that position at Utica was eliminated, but I cannot put my hands on it. Jack
  by lvrr325

Did the boards move again from Utica to Selkirk, or was that when they began to cut in modern dispatching controls (computers etc.)?
  by R Paul Carey

None of the old TCS Dispatcher boards were moved from Utica to Selkirk in 1987. The then-new office at Selkirk was equipped with an array of CRT track and signal displays, operated by touch-screen CRT's at each dispatcher's desk.