Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by hammerfang

I am stuck here between Sunnyside and Woodside due to the bad weather and thought I'd start a new thread. Does anyone know what is going on? We were just told to head back to Penn.
  by ElliotCourtney

They suspended service on all branches west of Jamaica because of weather. There is nothing on the Radio out here in Babylon for some odd reason.
  by LongIslandTool

Threats of wind and rain.
Last edited by LongIslandTool on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by SlackControl

Between 5:15 and 6pm, there were tornado warnings for SI, Brooklyn and Queens. The storm is currently moving through Suffolk now. News12 traffic is showing slow traffic with the yellow arrows extending all the way from Queens to mid Suffolk on the expressway. Lots of trees down and building damage in parts of western LI all over.
  by SlackControl

Have the other local railroads suspended service because of this storm?
  by LongIslandTool

Another bad management decision. If it looks like rain, you should drive - at least until they throw out Helena Williams.
Last edited by LongIslandTool on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by Fla East Coast Chris

Just like the Hall Tower incident. Tell the people in NYC to go out to dinner and enjoy themselves!!!
NOT These poor souls wanna go home!!!!!!
  by Trainmaster5

And all the time I thought the LIRR was a cut above those of us in NYCT. It seems the MTA "disease" effects all of those at the top nowadays. It must be spreading.
  by Silent man

The weather channel is saying there were trees down across the tracks, and so far one person was killed on the grand cental parkway.
  by hammerfang

Just made it to Jamaica from Penn by the e train, quite an experience getting out of the Jamaica subway...
  by num1hendrickfan

There are numerous trees down ( not counting the numerous trees and debris on the tracks ). These trees down are on top of power outages ( which number at least 25k ). Both the LIRR and NYCTA are affected to a great degree.
Thankfully they're managing to run limited service east of Jamaica, can get a faint signal from the lirr road channel ( heard 9816 going east from Babylon ).

I'd rank this a shade below that March storm ( by far one of the strongest T-storms we experienced this summer, and we've had quite a few ).
  by SlackControl

How ironic, service to Brooklyn but not to NY
  by condr

In the 28 years I worked on the RR, we ran in rain storms ,snow storms, wind storms, hurricanes, 9/11 what ever. Tool ,what is going on over there. Has this turned into a fair weather railroad? :(
  by Krowa08

Service to penn is still out apparently, Port wash might not be back up for the AM rush even. Guess there was a tornado in queens after all.
  by Commuter X

It was business as usual at Penn Station this evening....Inacurate, incomplete information with complete kaos inside and outside
Someone needs to take a course in crisis management

I guess the LIRR will have to settle for a 97% on-time rate this month

Commuter X