• Surviving NYC buildings, Manhattan to Albany

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by EastCleveland

For those in the know about infrastructure. . . .

Question #1: Apart from various surviving stations and the Harmon shops, what other New York Central-constructed buildings still exist along the Hudson Line between New York City and Albany? Where are they and approximately when were they built?

Question #2: How old are the electrical / signal / communications poles (steel or wood, active or derelict) that still line portions of the route?

-------------------------------------------------------------
  by Otto Vondrak

EastCleveland wrote:Question #1: Apart from various surviving stations and the Harmon shops, what other New York Central-constructed buildings still exist along the Hudson Line between New York City and Albany? Where are they and approximately when were they built?
Uh, that's a pretty tall order. You're talking about every passenger station, every freight house, every tower... there is a lot of stuff still standing. What do you need all this data for?
Question #2: How old are the electrical / signal / communications poles (steel or wood, active or derelict) that still line portions of the route?
The steel poles date to the 1910 electrification, I'm sure. Ones painted blue are retained by Metro-North, unpainted ones are derelict and will be removed sometime in the future.
  by Dieter

Starting at the Bottom -

Grand Central Terminal -- more or less intact following a restoration that turned into a renovation.

Stations have been reconstructed, what's left, and I would only consider counting where the ticket counter stood?

HUDSON DIVISION;
Yonkers
Hastings On Hudson
Dobbs Ferry
Ardsley On Hudson
Tarrytown
Philipse Manor
Scarborough
Ossining
Croton North
Peekskill
Cold Spring
somebody help me beyond here....
Poughkeepsie
Hyde Park
Rheincliff/Kingston
Hudson

PUTNAM DIVISION
Ardsley
Elmsford
Briarcliff Manor
Millwood
Yorktown

HARLEM DIVISION
More a case of what's gone, as most are intact.
GONE: Thornwood, Goldens Bridge, Wassaic

I'm sure there are lots of blanks.....

It's a START.

D/.
Last edited by Dieter on Fri May 22, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Sir Ray

Well, you should also count the NY Central Building (NYC HQ at one time), now the Hemsley Building - actually you'll need to investigate which office/residental buildings the NYC real estate division had a hand in when they covered their Grand Central Terminal yard w/ Park Avenue & environs aka 'Terminal City'...
  by Tom Curtin

SURVIVING on th Hudson:
Garrison (last time I was there, anyway)

GONE on the Harlem:
Purdys
Dykemans
Towners
Patterson
Wingdale
State School

. . . also, some missing stations beyond Wassaic, if you want to consider them:
Amenia
Hillsdale
Philmont
  by Noel Weaver

Biggest gone on the Harlem was the nice, big station at White Plains which was torn down in the early to mid 80's.
Noel Weaver
  by Otto Vondrak

While I always like good Harlem and Putnam info, our original question asked about the Hudson Division. Still waiting to hear back from the original poster though, this is quite a tall order for a lot of data. A lot of surviving structures along the Hudson!!
  by EastCleveland

Otto Vondrak wrote:What do you need all this data for?
Simple. Because I live on the Hudson Line (my backyard is on a bluff overlooking the tracks), and I travel along it by train nearly every day.

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm already well aware of the surviving stations (I use several regularly) and the former New York Central shops at Harmon.

I'm curious to know where I can find other surviving relics on the Hudson Line, and how old those relics might be. Various trackside buildings (and other remains) appear to have once had a railroad-related, pre-Metro-North/pre-Amtrak function. But since none has signage that says "New York Central," it's difficult to tell whether they once belonged to the railroad, or are simply industrial buildings with no relationship apart from a rusty freight siding.

--------------------------------------------
  by AMK0123

Tom Curtin- Yes, the old Garrison station is still standing. Now being occupied by the Philipstown theatre company.
  by Railjunkie

There are a few towers left standing one is on the north end of Harmon (old CD Tower). There is on under the Tappan Zee on the land side and I beleive old DV tower is still there and of course LAB in Albany.

There are what could be old MoW buildings at CP75, Staatsburg, and Germantown. All are of the sametype construction and two wear the faded blue and grey color combo of the 20th. I say this because I have seen similar color combos on buildings in Hoffmans and Herkimer. As for stations Stuyvensent(sp) is the only one that comes to mind.

Possibly the stone building in Tivoli is whats left of the pump house for the track pans. Gotta find my old ETT for that one though.
  by enwhycentral

I too live close to the Hudson line near Montrose. Although not on a bluff overlooking it, it is less probably less than 1000 feet away. A NY Central relic of 19th century vintage is the freight house in Peekskill just north of the station. Although it is called the "Lincoln Depot', it was built about 30 years after his death. The Lincoln Society in Peekskill has had it restored to close its original appearance for use as a museum because Lincoln gave a short speech at the Peekskill station that preceeded the present one. I am a big NY Central fan and modeler and would welcome hearing from you at my email address which is: [email protected]
  by Dieter

There is (was) a large electrical substation in IRVINGTON which was converted to condominiums within the past three years. It is located two doors down from the Post Office, south of the station on the east side of the tracks.

At Ossining, there is some kind of brick structure just north of the station on the east side of the tracks which Metro North is using as some kind of utility depot.

D/
  by gasaxe

Don't forget the Glenwood Power Plant in Yonkers.