• Surviving New Haven Steam Engines?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by atsf sp

Are there any surviving NH steam engines except for the one B&P 4-4-0?
  by Statkowski

No.

And the B&P 4-4-0 is pre-NYNH&H, so it sort of doesn't count, either.
  by 3rdrail

Where is that B&P 4-4-0 ? I'd like to see that. It would be similiar to the D.B.Torrey 4-4-0 that was involved in the Bussey Bridge Wreck in 1887. They were all named. Anyone know what name this one is ?
  by H.F.Malone

The B&P 4-4-0 is "Daniel Nason". It's in the St Louis museum (Natl Museum of Transport in Kirkwood MO). It's an inside-connected loco, preserved as a "relic" by the Old Colony RR and then the NYNH&H, since the late 1890s. Was donated to the "Great Danbury Fair" in the late 1940s by the New Haven, and when the fair closed in 1982, it was auctioned off. St Louis won the bidding and away it went.
  by 3rdrail

Thanks H.F.- just might have to take a stroll out that way to see her one of these days.
  by kalvingp30fan

I read on a different thraed that a NH tender survived into the 90's but was scraped.
  by Otto Vondrak

kalvingp30fan wrote:I read on a different thraed that a NH tender survived into the 90's but was scrapped.
Yes, there was a New Haven tender out in New Bedford, Mass (I think). that was used to store oil. It was cut up only a few years ago, there were no takers from what I understand (and the costs to remove the oil were astronomical).

-otto-