• Strange request

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by wingfan65

Hi, Some friends and I go camping/fishing in a remote part of Colorado. About 2 miles of the hike is down this old railroad line. I wanted to build a cart to carry all our stuff that we could push along the tracks. I believe the track is not in use anymore. Anyone know where I could find the track dimensions? I have found 4' 8 1/2" between the tracks. Is that the inside of on track to the inside of the other track?
  by DutchRailnut

Even if the track is not in use, it is still owned by someone, so your tresspassing, and use of track could land you in jail.
Take Advise for what its worth.
  by Allen Hazen

Wingfan65--
(i) Re-read Dutch Railnut's first reply to your question and think HARD about it before doing anything. Note also that track that is in use isn't always in use every day: even a track you've never seen a train on might some day...
(ii) Think about those things again.
(iii) In answer to your question, yes, the figure 4 feet 8.5 inches refers to the distance between the inside edges of the two rails of a track. (This is the most common size of railroad track in the U.S., though some other sizes have been used: Colorado at one time had a lot of railroad track of a smaller size, 3 feet between the rails.) Often tracks are allowed to be a bit wider on curves so as not to bind the wheels of multi-axle rail vehicles as they go around.
(iv) But think again about the other issues before making use of this information in the way suggested