• Steamtown derailment Saturday night

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by chuchubob

The Steamtown excursion train that ran from Delaware Water Gap to Scranton on Saturday and was scheduled to run from Scranton to Moscow on Sunday derailed Saturday when Lackawanna coach 550 split a switch while the train was backing into the Steamtown Yard for the night photo session. It apparently traveled several carlengths before the west truck on 550 plowed into the ballast.
in front of Bridge 60 Tower
east end truck
west end truck
another
perspective
Bridge 60
A road of ballast and crossties was built to accomodate the rerailing/repair equipment.

by Andyt293

Wow, you know my family and I were leaving the parking lot Saturday night and we drove under Bridge 60 as the special was backing up. My daughter (a non-railfan who just wanted to go to the Steamtown Mall and tagged along for the trip) pointed out that a car derailed, since the train kept moving, I thought she was mistaken.

Then again, she's 15 so she knows everything anyway :wink:

Hopefully no was hurt. Any other details?

by Steve F45

bob was there alot of damage to the equipment?

by chuchubob

Steve F45 wrote:bob was there alot of damage to the equipment?
I couldn't evaluate the extent of damage from my vantage points. The telephotos actually give more info than could be seen visually.

Bob

by tellu_whut

No one was on the train, so thankfully no one was hurt. The casualty was coach no. 550, one of the steam heated cars, so she is out of commission for the Holiday Express. The track is rather mangled, too. Nothing that can't be fixed, but nothing you want to see happen, either.

by General

My wife and i were there to see the damage. it was a minor derailment. a derailment like that can be cleaned up pretty quick and the car should be able to return to service within a week after a proper inspection. i have seen worse derailments were the cars were returned to service within a matter of days.

by highrail

How did the "clean up" go, and what was the extent of damage to the cars? It did not seem major, but then an old car, who knows. Any updated photos of the clearance posted anywhere? Thanks

Steve