• Statewide Flooding Reports (Affecting Rail Traffic)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

In another thread there are the first few reports of flooding, and it's likely to become more widespread so here's a new thread. Andy reports parts of Rt 17/I86 closed. (Just imagine if all of this was snow!)

by calorosome

Flash flood warnings in effect tonight for broome, delaware, central ny counties and bradford/tioga co PA. The river isn't expected to crest until monday morning.

by ANDY117

The only way to access views of conklin yard is to go up on the hill, and on the roads with a view. River Road, and Harry L. Drive are all underwater. The susquehanna is lapping at Rt. 17, and 434. Schools and homes are underwater.

by scottychaos

here is a link from Binghamton:

http://www.pressconnects.com/today/tops ... 7912.shtml

that area in Barton is about 2 miles from my parents!
(but they live WAY up on the mountain above the "Cannon Hole" area..
they are safe)

The Sayre newspaper webpage didnt update today!
they still have Saturday's news:

http://www.eveningtimes.com

but by morning they will probably have a lot of news about the flooding..

I know the Chemung River (Corning/Elmira and eastward to Waverly) isnt in great danger from flooding anymore because of the Tioga/Hammond lakes that were built after Hurricane Agnes in '72.
But what about the Susquehanna?
what flood control measures were put in place on the Susquehanna after '72?

this flooding doesent look like its going to be *too* severe..of course, if your house is in the way, it will be plenty severe!
but it wont have a huge impact over huge areas like the '72 flood did..
just the low-lying areas..
should be all over by tomorrow night..
the rain finally stopped up here (Rochester) this afternoon..we have some small creeks overflowing, but nothing major..
Scot

by ANDY117

They built dikes. Which aren't big enough, hence why UE floods.
  by n2xjk

I haven't been up there yet to see the damage, but I'm told the Catskill Mountain RR people took a big hit--cars derailed and tracks undermined along the Esopus Creek.

by thannon

scottychaos wrote: But what about the Susquehanna?
what flood control measures were put in place on the Susquehanna after '72?
Scot
The Susquehanna was in full force- nearly or more than it's depth during the '72 flood, here in Sayre. Riverfront park, which is located between the yard and the river was the river Sunday. (the ROW is significantly higher than the park though) The only local bridge over the Susquehanna (aside from I86/Rt. 17) was closed on the East Side, with one side of the roadway underwater. Some mention over the scanner of the expansion joints being larger than before too....not good with the old Athens bridge torn apart. Real flooding is confined to Sayre's East side, but the water was nearly to the road along the river.

Chemung indeed is relatively tame. High water to be sure between Elmira and Waverly with only localized flooding. By my house the river didn't approach the depth from the snowmelt runoff last week. Good thing for me- since right now I'm below the river depth....

Tom H>

by videobruce

Track two around Newark has been under water for many miles............

by sd80mac

Again???? I recall that the track were few inches under water. The trains had to crawl through the flood. Railpace had a picture in an issue showing Amtrak wading through water.

yet... CR and CSX didn't do anything to improve the drainage????

ken
videobruce wrote:Track two around Newark has been under water for many miles............

by Brad Smith

There's no where to drain the water to. Mud creek is high and overflowing it's banks. Nothing CSX can do other than build a levee along the tracks, and for the 4 days a year this happens, it's not worth it.

by Otto Vondrak

CMRR reports that four feet of water washed through the yard area in Phonecia during the worst of the flooding earlier in the week. Some equipment was tipped on its side, but there seems to be no apparrent permanent damage. The cabooses were tipped over leaning on coach 702 (ex-DLW MU trailer). All operational equipment is fine.  The roadbed needs to be repaired at Bridge Street as the road itself and track have been undermined.  Spot work along the main with ballast is needed. CMRR plans to be ready for opening day of their operating season with some minor cleanup.

-otto-

by uticajack

I heard tonight that there was a bridge washed out on the NYS&W main south of Norwich and that all freight traffic was being re-routed via CSX to Utica. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yep

by JoeCollege

uticajack wrote:I heard tonight that there was a bridge washed out on the NYS&W main south of Norwich and that all freight traffic was being re-routed via CSX to Utica. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Per an NYSW employee to me, the above is true. There could be some other washouts along the river. Haven't seen or heard a train all week.

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks for posting the images from CMRR, isaksenj. Hopefully the CMRR will be able to recover and repair in time for opening day after this recent round of rain!

-otto-