• Springfield Line double tracking

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Pj

I think the budget for extending the double track between Hartford and Springfield was axed back in 2000/2001....anyone know if they are planning on extending it again? These were the streches between Enfield and Windsor, and Windsor to Hartford.
  by Noel Weaver

The second track on the Springfield Line was pulled up maybe 20 years
ago during the Claytor era of Amtrak. The line at the time needed much
track work due to Penn Central neglect. The finanal decision was to
upgrade one track, modernize the signal system and put in modern cab
signals and to pull up the second track except where needed for a
controlled siding or a two track section.
In my opinion, the present set up is more than adequate for the present
traffic on this line and in fact, there is room for more with the existing
set up.
Noel Weaver

by Pj

I am not debating the 2nd track, but there was (before the train elimiations of a couple of years ago) budgets and work being done...recent signal swapouts being the last of the funding.

I do remember the 2nd track still in use when I moved into town in 1989. I forgot when they took it out. There was also a siding/2nd track in Thompsonville in the early 90's.

With all the recent talk and expansion of the commuter service, I am just curious if anything has been stated or looked at in bringing this project back to life.

by New Haven 1

Correct me if I'm wrong ,but, isn't re-double tracking this line part of the restoration of commuter trains project that has been endorsed by the Conn. D.O.T. ? I am thinking I read this as part of the article when it appeared in the newspaper.