• Spring Switches

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Metalrailz

Recently I was viewing a video about the KCS meridian subdivision. In the video they showed spring switches and how they operate. My question is are there any lines in NJ that infact have spring switches on them?

by nolifeCRchaser

There is a spring switch on the track leading to Heritage Minerals off of the unused portion of the Southern Secondary or somewhere in that vicinity. I saw it once a while back while hiking through the woods, so I do not remember its exact location. I definitely know they are still in use on the Strasburg Railroad, however that is in Pennsylvania.

by trainfreak

Even though its in New York State, Norfolk Southern's Southern Tier line north/west of Port Jervis i think uses mainly spring switches.
  by ftmprob

The Septa Media line from 69th St, Upper Darby PA has a spring switch near the outermost part of the line where the line goes from Private ROW to the last portion of the run down from Baltimore Pike to Main St. in Media.

by David

Bob, Do you have a close-up picture of a spring switch?

by Scrap The U34CH

I believe the spring switches on the Erie line were installed when the EL single tracked the line in the early 70's.

by chuchubob

David wrote:Bob, Do you have a close-up picture of a spring switch?
No