• Speeds and track conditions on the Back Road

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by petahgriff8316

Driving in Falmouth tonight, I came upon (assuming) PORU at the Falmouth Road crossing. With nothing else to do, I followed it all the way to New Gloucester East. When I was at road crossings, however (all of the Cumberland ones and Mill in North Yarmouth) the train couldn't have been doing more than 15 mph. Indeed, the trip from Falmouth to NGE took around 1:20 (MP 189-MP 173.) This seems pretty bizarre; I have routinely seen trains do around 25 on this section, and would expect them to go faster on the main (from Riverside to Royal w/the new ribbon rail.)

This led me to wonder what the current condition of the rail on the Back Road is slash what potential for upgrades it would have? If Amtrak (or whoever else for that matter) wanted to go with passenger rail to Waterville (tentatively speaking down the road,) would they just rehab from Brunswick up through Augusta to Waterville via the Lower Road? Or would they both in rehabbing the Back Road from Royal through G/NG, Auburn/Lewiston, Leeds, Readfield and Oakland? I'm just thinking that rehabbing the portion from Royal through Danville wouldn't make much sense given that the SL&A is in good shape from Yarmouth Jct. through Danville and that if they were to go on the Back Road they would probably take SL&A to Danville and then hook up with the Back Road there rather than try to rehab the Royal-Danville portion. I'm trying to figure out the most realistic course of action that the railroad would be most likely to take given the current circumstances (Downeaster upgrade!) :)

On another note, it has always mystified me that several of the crossings on the Pan Am main between Falmouth and Danville (e.g. Route 9, Greely Rd., Intervale) are not gated when they see way more trains than anything the SL&A does... Perhaps this is due to the condition of the rails slash funding?
  by BR4

There are many reasons that could account for the speed. This time of year it is not unusual for there to be soft spots in the ROW due
to excessive water from rains and melt off. Crossings are particularly hard hit with frost heaves. There may have been a car (or more than one) in the consist that required a restriction. Haven't been around the freight main recently, so I can't say for sure what the reason is, but I do know that speed over the Mill Rd crossing is usually 20 mph or less. Has been that way for years.

As for passenger service to Waterville, I don't see it happening in the next 30 years. But if it does, I think there will be compelling
arguements for both routes, especially if service is restored to Augusta (which I see as a more likely possibility). The population base
of the L-A area makes a strong argument for the Back Road. Going thr Lower Road would be more direct from Brunswick or Augusta,
but there are more substantial hurdles to overcome.

The SLR (as the St. L & A line is known) is not in such great shape. There was, last I knew, a 10 mph speed restriction on the entire line. It is used once a month, at most. Not even sure when the last revenue train ran to East Deering. In fact most, if not all, of the line has
been sold to the state, and SLR is the contract operator. Not sure who funded thre project, but a few years back crossing gates were installed on the Route 9 crossing in No Yarmouth at Dunn's. Could never figure why, because the only prospect of increased service was the potential for the Downeaster to use the SLR from ortland to Yarmouth Jct, then back onto thre Lower Rd. This Rt 9 crossing was to far west to have been included in those plans.
  by newpylong

20 mph is not often an official speed restriction you see on the ST, except for while passing the manual crossovers in Ayer. Nor are there 20 mph restrictions on any cars around here...

Most mosty they were either underpowered or going into/coming out of a restriction.
  by BR4

The 20 mph speed I spoke of was an estimate.

The gates at Rt 9 were installed long after the ski train atopped running.

BTW, who keeps changing the wording on the subject lines? When I look for
a familiar topic, the name has been changed. Kind of irritating.
  by MEC407

BR4 wrote:BTW, who keeps changing the wording on the subject lines? When I look for
a familiar topic, the name has been changed. Kind of irritating.
Per the forum guidelines:

"Subject titles may be edited for content and clarity at the moderator's discretion."

It was changed because the original subject ("Maine Central Back Road") was not very specific about what the post was actually about. That's all. Not trying to irritate anyone; just trying to make it easier for people to find what they're looking for.
  by petahgriff8316

Indeed, I had no official way of knowing the speed. It was just an estimate.

And the gates in N. Yarmouth (from what I assumed) were installed due to the possibility of the passenger trains to Auburn, even if that would be done after the Downeaster would be extended to Brunswick. What puzzles me, however, is why in the world they would install gates at Dunn's and Intervale. Yes, they are busy roads, but A) There are only 2 or 3 trains per month that travel on that line (as opposed to around 4-6 per day on the Back Road.) B) The trains only travel around 10 mph (I know I made a statement about ribbon rail, but that is negated due to the sparse use of the line.) and C) There are crossings that could benefit from gates much more than those two (aforementioned Route 9 in Cumberland, Greely Road at Royal and Intervale at New Gloucester East.) I would say that funding is an issue for Pan Am, however, the installation of the gates at Danville makes me wonder. At least the gates will be taken care of for the first two crossings with the Downeaster expansion!

I should also note that between Woodville in Falmouth and Royal, the train went up to (estimated) 25 mph. I'm not sure why this is; yes, I know that restrictions can indeed hamper the speed of a train in certain sections, but the signals were all green at both Riverside and Royal. What, if any, increased speeds could we see on freights between those two points?
  by BR4

"I should also note that between Woodville in Falmouth and Royal, the train went up to (estimated) 25 mph. I'm not sure why this is; yes, I know that restrictions can indeed hamper the speed of a train in certain sections, but the signals were all green at both Riverside and Royal. What, if any, increased speeds could we see on freights between those two points?"

A good portion of the line from Royal to Danville is ballasted with a finer, more dirt like material than the section between Rigby and Royal. The roadbed is less stable and many "nud joints" exist. Most of the crossings are overdue for reconstruction. Thus the lower speed during frost heave season and mud season. The operation of snowmobiles also sometimes accounts for speed restrictions. And in rural areas outside of Portland, they are a considerable problem sometimes.

When Downeaster service to Brunswick starts, would look for 40 mph freight along the route. I wouldn't expect any more than 25 mph
on the Back Road unless passenger service is someday extended to L-A or beyond.
  by gokeefe

petahgriff8316 wrote:Driving in Falmouth tonight, I came upon (assuming) PORU at the Falmouth Road crossing. With nothing else to do, I followed it all the way to New Gloucester East. When I was at road crossings, however (all of the Cumberland ones and Mill in North Yarmouth) the train couldn't have been doing more than 15 mph. Indeed, the trip from Falmouth to NGE took around 1:20 (MP 189-MP 173.) This seems pretty bizarre; I have routinely seen trains do around 25 on this section, and would expect them to go faster on the main (from Riverside to Royal w/the new ribbon rail.)
This is the second report of CWR ('ribbon rail') installation on this portion of the Back Road I've seen in as many days. The previous report indicated the rail had just arrived, meaning any speed improvements are unlikely due to the incomplete project status.

What is PAR doing on the Back Road and when did they decide to do this?
  by petahgriff8316

gokeefe wrote:
petahgriff8316 wrote:Driving in Falmouth tonight, I came upon (assuming) PORU at the Falmouth Road crossing. With nothing else to do, I followed it all the way to New Gloucester East. When I was at road crossings, however (all of the Cumberland ones and Mill in North Yarmouth) the train couldn't have been doing more than 15 mph. Indeed, the trip from Falmouth to NGE took around 1:20 (MP 189-MP 173.) This seems pretty bizarre; I have routinely seen trains do around 25 on this section, and would expect them to go faster on the main (from Riverside to Royal w/the new ribbon rail.)
This is the second report of CWR ('ribbon rail') installation on this portion of the Back Road I've seen in as many days. The previous report indicated the rail had just arrived, meaning any speed improvements are unlikely due to the incomplete project status.

What is PAR doing on the Back Road and when did they decide to do this?
By "this portion," I meant from Riverside (CPF 192) to Royal (CPF 185.) This portion of the line is part of the Downeaster expansion. My understanding (thanks to the Downeaster's website) was that rail had been installed between Church Road in Brunswick and Allen Ave. in Portland (CPF 194.) The only other interpretation I could imagine is that I mislabeled that portion of track as being on the "Back Road," which I recognize is the portion of the main line north of Royal. My apologies.
  by KSmitty

Gonna dig this one back up...

Have track speeds Waterville-Portland been upped recently. A train last night has me confused. Its normally a peezy chase from the Winthrop ME. downtown to Monmouth and then onto Leeds Jct. Granted not the longest section, talking maybe 15 miles or so, not a great sample of the line as a whole...but last night a southbound big train with 5 units upfront blew through. Caught it in Monmouth and was long gone by the time 202 could get me to Leeds. Last time I saw a train move that fast they had the Governor on board.

So did PAR sneak a line overhaul in under my nose or did some of the speed restrictions magically lift in light of the recent OCS outting?
  by gokeefe

Based on the timing I'm guessing there may have been a slow order in effect at the Main Street crossing in Winthrop that has now been lifted.

It would have taken a few weeks for inspections to take place as well as a certain margin allowed to ensure any initial problems at the crossing are shaken out by operations.

Then I'm guessing it would likely take another week or two for the decision to get made, approved, recorded and handed down to personnel.