• Speed Restrictions at High Platforms

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ExCon90

A question has arisen on another forum about whether some railroads have speed restrictions at stations with high platforms. As an example, what is the MAS on the Montauk Branch between Jamaica and Babylon (other than curves, bridges. etc.), and do any speed restrictions apply to trains not stopping at intermediate stations? My traveling days are over, but I've seen numerous head-end videos where there is no noticeable slackening of speed at St. Albans, Lynbrook, etc.
  by gregorygrice

Platforms usually have no affect on maximum allowed speed for regular passenger trains.
  by workextra

LI has no restrictions on speed passing the high platforms and is plate F on the mainline and plate C everywhere else.

Some roads will use freight gauntlet tracks to pull the freight trains further away from the platform but these are essentially like switches and likely have a medium to limited speed through them.
But unless otherwise specified if the Frieght speed on said line is 45 the gauntlets should be 45 as well.
I believe they have these se somewhere on NJT.
The local buffs would know better than I.
  by R36 Combine Coach

I do know that on the 2-track South Shore, expresses can run through local stations at high speeds, as with the
Main Line before the recent widening.