• Speed restriction through Delaware - 4/30

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by islandtransit

All day today(April 30th), CSX trains were comming across campus slower than ever. Anyone know what's up? Took 15 minutes for one of em to clear the crossings at Main St and North College. Engineers were really layin on the horn too.

by UPRR engineer

Sounds like track work.

by Conrail1990

I had to go to a work school right next to the csx line yesterday. It didnt seem like anything was different to me.

by islandtransit

Last night they were still crawlin through town at no more than 5mph. Today though I heard one train go through. Sounded like things are back to normal. What track work could they possibly be doing with so many trains still going through?

by Conrail1990

I got to go back there tomorrow. I will try to see whats going on.

by mmi16

islandtransit wrote:Last night they were still crawlin through town at no more than 5mph. Today though I heard one train go through. Sounded like things are back to normal. What track work could they possibly be doing with so many trains still going through?
Track circuit.....having to get permission to pass a stop signal and then proceeding at restricted speed until a more favorable signal is observed. In CTC territory, for the most part, when a train enters a track segment on permission, it will not receive a more favorable intermediate signal until the absolute signal for the next control point is observed. A WB train receiving a Stop Signal at Landenberg Jct will be operating at restricted speed until the absolute signal at East Singerly is observed. ie. Restricted speed through the University of Delaware.
  by Conrail1990

The 5mph speed limit is still in effect. I saw some csx sd70mac's and es44dc's going from 40mph to 5mph.

by islandtransit

Yeah, I saw one pass through this morning at about 10 going southbound(or is it westbound?). I understand now why they're going so slow, but why are they all getting stop signals at the junctions?

by Conrail1990

Well it is definitly between the elkton road crossing and a little bit after the brunswick bowling alley.

by islandtransit

Isn't that crossing Main St? Also, is that the bowling alley on the east side of town?

by Conrail1990

Well they did slow down inbetween those areas and speed up again.