• South Norwalk rail yard 1940's ?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Lronan

As a kid, my uncle worked as an engineer out of the Norwalk yard on the Danbury branch. 1940's era. We would visit him as he fired the old loco's for his run. Can anyone tell me where that yard was in South Norwalk(?). near what cross streets, as I do not remember now. He lived on #8 Bank St. Now the Expressway has buried the street. We see him also, pass on his run, as we watched at the New Canaan St crossing near Main St. Crossing guard would have stop sign and lantern to stop the traffic.
Thanks for any help you can give me. I checked some maps, but was not clear. There was an old yard on one map that showed it at Putnam Ave, Pine St, and Ann St. Also, was there a turn table there?
  by DutchRailnut

The yard would have been Dock yard in area where now the Maritime center and Condo's are located.
on east side of Danbury main from mainline to just north of where currently I-95 is.
  by Lronan

Thank you Dutch, I think I see it on the map. I don't remember, was there a turn table there? I remember the ashpit etc. Funny, how you remember some things and not others, but how could I forget a turntable! My uncle Jim, died in that yard attending to his engine. He was shoveling coal forward, would not allow anyone, but himself to bring her to life. Found him face down on the coal, after the safety valve when off and they investigated.
  by DutchRailnut

There use to be a turntable were walk tower is now, but that was in Danbury & norwalk days.