Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by redline43

I know that the Staten Island Rapid Transit uses R44 cars modified to comply with FRA regulations. But in what way are they modified? In what ways are they different from NYC Subway cars now?

by 3rdrail

Do they fall under the FRA ? I thought that rapid transit equipment did not.

by redline43

Just SIRT. The rest of the NYC Subway doesn't.
nycsubway.org wrote:Passenger trains are made up of 64 R-44 type cars, modified to FRA standards for passenger equipment running on a freight road.
http://nycsubway.org/nyc/sirt/

by jtunnel

SIRT is considered connected to the "main line" of an AAR railroad. (SIRT and the B&O were once one and the same) MTA has tried to get the line reclassified several times, to no avail.

Noticable differences: The cars have more grabs and steps (safety applianaces) and have a brake wheel instead of a lever for standing (parking) brakes.

I think the breaking system is also a bit more "robust" then the other R-44's
  by rail10

Is the Sirt trains consider a narrow or wide profile train for the nyc subway?
  by Terrapin Station

rail10 wrote:Is the Sirt trains consider a narrow or wide profile train for the nyc subway?
WIDE
  by Terrapin Station

rail10 wrote:Is the Sirt trains consider a narrow or wide profile train for the nyc subway?
WIDE

by LIengineerBob

The SIRT cars are not equipped with brake wheels for the hand brakes...they have rachet type hand brake handles in the engineers cab.

They are also now equipped with automatic speed control...something a subway car defiantly does not have!!

Most of the cars have recently been "polished" with what appears to be a power disk sander!!! They looked worn before, now they look even worse, as they tarnish right up with the first rain fall. New white on black number plates have also been applied after they got their "polishing".

by jtunnel

Thanks for the brake clarification.

Has the SIRT started replacing the B&O color position lineside signals yet?

by LIengineerBob

The B&O color light signals are still used, but a few new ones were added or the aspects changed to reflect the automatic speed control system.

The MAS was upped to 60mph once the ASC was put into service.

by Eltingville SINY

I believe the whole line has been resignaled to allow bi-directional two-track operation as part of the ASC upgrades.

I alo remember reading that other FRA mods include diffrenet window glass, ditch lights, and something about the headlights.

by jgbond007

Totally off topic but I was wondering how one would go about applying for positions with SIRT, is it similar to NYC transit with a civil service exam or it just submitting a resume??

Thanks

by n2cbo

Since the SIRT comes under FRA Regs, does the "Motorman" need to have a valid FRA engineers certificate?

by drewh

Strange they cant get this reclassified to a transit operation as there is no longer freight service. Or am I mistaken about this? Are there still tracks that go from AK Bridge all the way to St George?