• Signals of Port Washington Line

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Butlershops

I took my first ride on the Port Washington Line yesterday. I didn't notice any wayside signals except for interlocking signals. Does this line utilize cab signals without fixed ABS?
  by Head-end View

You're probably right. I haven't ridden that line, but regrettably many LIRR branches don't have wayside ABS anymore. No need with cab signals and automatic speed control system.
  by RC '75

What exactly are wayside ABS signals anyway?

by LIengineerBob

ABS's are simply Automatic Block Signals. On the Port Wash branch, there are no fixed AUTOMATIC block signals, EXCEPT between Harold and Wood and Great Neck and Port Washington. Automatic speed control is in effect on the entire branch.

by Legio X

There was (or still is) a signal next to the Plandome Country Club that only is illuminated when a Port Washington-bound train is due to pass soon. It shows Approach, the turns to Stop as the train passes, with a single light also shining below the Stop aspect. After a minute or two, the signal then goes dark. What is the deal with this particular signal? Is it a unique signal to this branch?
  by dukeoq

The theory is that vandals who throw rocks or who have beebee guns don't use unlighted targets.
Also, the bulbs will last much longer if they are only lit when needed.
The light under the "stop" aspect changes the indication to "Stop and Proceed".
As LIengineerBob mentioned, this is an automatic signal amd it cannot display absolute "Stop"
JJ Earl

by NIMBYkiller

Legio, if the signal you are talking about is for westbound trains, yeah, it's still there.

by Peanuts

I dont know about you guys... but the last signal I should still get to Port Washington heading east is the one on the west end of the viaduct... thats the entrance to 410 territory and also gives me my absolute with a speed failure... if I recall there are no automatic signals from Neck to Port Wash..

by LIengineerBob

How about the one west of Port Washington (eastbound)....it's an approach lit signal (meaning the signal lights up when the train enters the circut)...and that cannot be an interlocking signal.

by Peanuts

Well... I know there are no interlocking signals in Port Washington.. but its 410, so how can there be an automatic signal? The only signal I know is the Pedestal thats non-interlocked controlled by Jamaica...

with Port Wash not being an interlocking isnt that why we have a special instruction govering the movements of trains with speed failures into and out of Port Washington?

by Legio X

The signal next to the Plandome Country Club I'm referring to is for Port Washington-bound trains. I worked at the P.C.C. for three years, from 1994 to 1997. I have'nt been back there since then, so I don't know if the signal is still there, nor do I know if there was a signal for trains leaving Port in the same area as the other signal. As far as vandals go, there are definitely a lot of them up there, so I see the logic of making that signal operate only as needed. I caught kids from Port on that area of the golf course by the signal drinking all the time at night during the summer, and Friday/Saturday nights during the school year.

by bluebelly

Bob, Peanuts us correct Rule 410 is in effect between Neck and Port Wash. not 409.

Peanuts, you are correct in this case, however just because there are no automatic wayside signals does not mean it can't be 409 territory ( I know what the Rule says). Think of the Hempstead Branch, it is 409 between Garden and Hempstead, but the signal leaving Garden is the last signal you get, ther are no more eastbound signals.

by LIengineerBob

Oh boy...I better get a set of newer maps!! I havn't been up that way for about 6 years now, so I am going by what I remember!!

by Peanuts

I know going westbound from Hempstead to Garden you get only the home signal. But going eastbound from Garden to Hempstead there is one automatic signal. There is an east bound automatic signal at the east end of Country Life Press station, it is because of that one signal at 409 is in effect. Also, 409 is in effect where Note 3 is in effect, with that, there is no wayside signal, but you have a cab signal indication.

Bob, no disrespect was meant towards you, I know where you stand on the roster and I respect the seniority... wasnt trying to show you up, just give the correct and necessary information. Sorry if I came across the wrong way.