• Signals and operating rules P'burg to West End Hampton

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by DocJohn

After returning to NJ in 11/70 from 4 years of graqduate school at Ohio State, I found house for rent in Raritan near the yard. When it started getting light after 6 p.m. in Spring of 1971, I went out to Hampton to watch the two Hampton trains arrive and then head back east to Raritan. I have some slides taken from area of Hampton station showing semaphore signal in the distance. Also, there was a run-by at Hampton during a steam excursion in 1972 (or 73?) and that semaphore was on eastbound track at West End Hampton.

If you then move ahead to 1974 when service to P'burg was restored, pictures of that era shown a signal bridge with the remains of semaphore-type signals at P'Burg. Question I have is that when CNJ was running passenger service into Pennsylvania what signals, operating rules were in effect between P'Burg and West End Hampton?

DocJohn
Macon, GA