• Signal Electronic Technician - St. Paul/Chicago

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Jim1348

I am just looking for some honest replies here. I live in a suburb a short ways south of Saint Paul and I am interested in this job. I have all of the position requirements. I have a a valid FCC GROL, a Minnesota Class A Commercial Driver License with all possible endorsements, I am accustomed to working odd hours, heights are no problem, and I have AS/BS/MS degrees, however, I am 53 years old. Am I wasting my time applying? Is this the sort of position that tons of well qualified people apply for and I will likely be passed over? Or do they have trouble getting applicants for something like this?

https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... 2f1eDdo%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Career Opportunities: **Signal Electronic Technician - St. Paul/Chicago (31624)
Req Id 31624 - Posted 06/02/2014 - United States - Minnesota - St. Paul
Job Description Print Preview

SIGNAL ELECTRONIC TECHNICIAN - SYSTEM MN/ND

All applicants must be currently authorized to work in the USA without CP sponsorship.

Req ID: 31624
Department: [[department]]
Job Type: Full-Time
% of Travel: No Selection
# of Positions: 1.00
Job Grade:
Compensation Rate: $29.97 per hour
Job Available to: Internal & External
Deadline to apply: 06/16/2014

POSITION DESCRIPTION

General responsibilities for this position involve the installation, maintenance and construction of Train Control Systems and Grade Crossing Warning Systems. May also supervise, instruct, or direct other employees who may be assisting the Electronic Technician in their work.
Will work outdoors a majority of the time with exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity such as extreme heat, cold, ice, rain, snow.
Facilitate repair and return of bad order circuit cards and components through equipment vendors.
Use meters, scopes, and other various types of test equipment to diagnose equipment problems and failures.
Use computers for diagnostics in troubleshooting electronic equipment, software burning, software uploading/downloading, downloading event logs, and other various functions.
Test, inspect, and repair signal apparatus to meet requirements set forth by CPR and FRA regulatory requirements.
Manage and document FRA test and inspection reports.
Support Signal Maintainers, Signal Crews, and Signal Testmen in their duties and with technical issues.
Acquire and apply knowledge of Grade Crossing Warning System equipment, i.e. HXP’s, GCP’s, PMD’s and Train Control Systems, i.e. VHLC’s, VPI’s, Electrologic’s, Microlok’s.
Become familiar with Signal & Communication circuit drawings and standards.
Make field checks and corrections to circuit drawings as necessary.

POSITION REQUIREMENTS:

Must possess valid FCC General Radio Telephone Operators License(GROL) or equivalent i.e. International Society of Certified Electronic Technicians(ISCET certification)
Requires valid Driver’s License to operate company vehicle.
Ability to respond for emergent work past normal working hours.
Ability to occasionally work at various heights(ladders, signal masts and structures) .
Post secondary education is preferred.

BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:

Criminal history
Last 3 years of driving history
Last 7 years of employment history to include military service
Social Security number
Education

MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:

Medical evaluation
Drug Screen
Other elements as needed

DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:

Canadian Pacific (CP) is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping CP safe and drug free.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

To be considered for internal job transfer, all applicants must meet the following criteria:

No formal discipline within last 24 months worked
Maintained a proven safety record within last 24 months worked

Employees may apply for the position provided they have held their current position for a minimum period of one year.

CP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
  by trvr815

I'm not I'm this craft and I'm sure more qualified individuals will get back to you but why not go for it. I think, with your degrees and a positive work history you have a pretty good shot at it.

I know CP is hiring like mad right now.
  by Jim1348

trvr815 wrote:I'm not I'm this craft and I'm sure more qualified individuals will get back to you but why not go for it. I think, with your degrees and a positive work history you have a pretty good shot at it.

I know CP is hiring like mad right now.
Thank you very much for the reply. I did apply for it and I will see what happens. Why is CP hiring so much right now? Have they had a lot of retirements?
  by COEN77

mdr406 wrote:From a business perspective, you are highly over-qualified for this position.
I don't know about that. I worked with people that had MA's & Phd's on the railroad in transportation. Most got the bug back in the days when they would hire college students during the summers for traveling rail gangs. They would travel the system living in camp cars ect...They made enough money to fray some of the costs of their education.
  by trvr815

Retirements and Hunter Harrison's objectives. Everyone says stay away, but I see a lot of oppotunity.
I myself have a bachelor's in management and am working on my masters. I also have airframe and power plant ratings for aviation with management background in transportation.
I say go to the interview and brush up on behavioral interview skills.
Best of luck!