• Shut up! You're in the QuietRide Car.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by R3 Passenger

*gasp!* Is this really SEPTA?

According to the press release, the first car on certain R5 Lansdale/Doylestown trains will be designated as QuietRide cars. Right now, it's just a pilot program. I know there was "what if" discussion on SEPTA quiet cars, but I couldn't find it.

Information is found on SEPTA's website here: http://www.septa.org/service/quietride.html
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I always ride in the first car. However, my quandary is this: wouldn't the horn and grade crossings defeat the purpose of the quiet car? IMO, it would be better placed in the rear of the train.
  by Patrick Boylan

once upon a time it was very rare to be on a city transit vehicle without someone smoking marijuana, and I've often heard folks say self service proof of payment tickets with random inspectors would never work here.
We now have pretty much smoke free city buses and trolleys, and even people may debate if it works there is a proof of payment ticket system nearby in Camden-Trenton, an environment I expect few would consider more law abiding than SEPTA.
We even have remarkably little graffiti, certainly compared to the 1970's, so maybe the riding public who prefer cleanliness and civilized, polite trips have prevaled over the noisier, rowdy crowds.

So just one more positive omen to the list: the Phillies won the World Series, we have a black president elect, it snowed in Las Vegas, SEPTA's instituting quiet cars, it all must mean THE EAGLES WILL WIN THE SUPER BOWL!
  by Tadman

You gotta respect the poster's optimism...
  by cpontani

But the announcement lacks any mention of what happens when somebody won't shut their trap. Do they get asked nicely to move? Do they get fined? Do they get removed by Septa police at the next scheduled stop? Does their pass get confiscated? Since they're express trains, do they slow to 30mph, and throw you off? :P
  by HangarRat

CarterB wrote:Perhaps SEPTA has purchased several cases of these?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59744536@N00/2820392527/
That might have warranted a NSFW tag!

If SEPTA's going to institute quiet coach service, the R5 is a great place to start. Conversations on the Bryn Mawr local usually make me want to stab myself in the ear with ballpoint pen: "Well, Buffy's pissed that she has to drive the old Jag, so I gave it to ... but what I really want is the Maybach." And so on.
  by SCB2525

Who gets to go on the quiet car and who gets stuck elsewhere? I agree the inane conversations on Regional Rail make me want to break something.

Also, they should shut off some of the lights in the quiet cars. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
  by add2718

cpontani wrote:But the announcement lacks any mention of what happens when somebody won't shut their trap. Do they get asked nicely to move? Do they get fined? Do they get removed by Septa police at the next scheduled stop? Does their pass get confiscated? Since they're express trains, do they slow to 30mph, and throw you off? :P
Hmmm, the question of enforcement is a good one. "Asking nicely to move" is not going to work. If someone's on a packed train and they have to move to another car, other people are likely going to have to get up, if the person actually complies. (Oh no!) And will someone from the other cars get to take their seat? Will there be a lottery for it? :P A fine is a slightly better idea, I guess. Calling SEPTA police to remove them at the next stop is ridiculous and then the train will be late(r).

Will this policy be likely to cause problems with people fighting to get in the first car? Hopefully not. Will there be standees allowed in the first car? Will the first car look like the day of the Phillies parade? :P
  by Matthew Mitchell

R3 Passenger wrote:*gasp!* Is this really SEPTA?
Yep!

And further from the department of porcine aviation, SEPTA consulted with DVARP as they were developing the program.
  by cpontani

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
R3 Passenger wrote:*gasp!* Is this really SEPTA?
Yep!

And further from the department of porcine aviation, SEPTA consulted with DVARP as they were developing the program.
Assume the basis is longer, express, rush hour trains? As mentioned before, this won't really work with a two-car train. And do you really want a late night "quiet car"? You might miss your stop if you doze off...
  by Patrick Boylan

SCB2525 wrote: Also, they should shut off some of the lights in the quiet cars. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
doesn't that make the quiet car more of the quiet and romantic car?
Also gets to be a little like NJTransit buses, after picking up passengers on Market St and Broad and Cherry they usually turn the interior lights off.
  by Clearfield

The car is self-policed by the riders

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  by Patrick Boylan

Clearfield wrote:The car is self-policed by the riders

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
IS THIS NETTIQUETTE, SMALL FONT MEANS WHISPERING AND ALL CAPS MEANS SHOUTING?????
and what about the laptop user in the quiet car who types in all caps?
  by Matthew Mitchell

cpontani wrote:Assume the basis is longer, express, rush hour trains? As mentioned before, this won't really work with a two-car train. And do you really want a late night "quiet car"? You might miss your stop if you doze off...
Yes. The initial phase is going to be a two-month trial run on the R5 Lansdale/Doylestown expresses only.

If the trial is successful, it will be incrementally extended to other peak-hour trains. It's too early to say what the schedule might be for that, and there is no plan at this time to extend it to off-peak trains, which for a variety of reasons would be a challenge.