• SEWA Changes

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by atholrail

Some changes have been made recently to the movements of SEWA. Once interchanged at Barbers, and run to Ayer, it is then "Morphed" into AYED and brought to ED for classification. Then traffic is put into outbound jobs, EDNM, EDRU, etc. Not sure how long this will last. Billy
  by QB 52.32

Is this still going on, or was it a "one-time" thing?
  by QB 52.32

Thanks much for your response. It's interesting how "flexible" Pan Am appears to be in making adjustments with their train network to match traffic.
  by cpf354

From monitoring the Guilford Sighting group on Yahoo, there appears to be no regular operation of a symbol freight called AYED. A few days ago I heard SEWA drop his train at Lowell and put the CSX power away at the tower there. I think the traffic through Barber has diminished to the point now where it probably gets picked up and dropped by NMED/EDNM, RUED/EDRU, or any other mainline freight, and then moved back and forth to Barber by what is actually a Worcester to Ayer turn. When the PAS starts, it'll be interesting to see if the Barber interchange traffic diminishes even more.
Traffic is down all over the system anyway. The only big moves you'll see on the Worcester Main will probably be grain from now on.
  by QB 52.32

cpf354 wrote: When the PAS starts, it'll be interesting to see if the Barber interchange traffic diminishes even more. Traffic is down all over the system anyway.
All things being equal, I don't think PAS is intended to change Pan Am's relationship with CSX as a second, competing outlet for their originated traffic out of Maine. Unless CSX's rates rise visa vi NS or for some reason both carriers want to shift traffic to Rotterdam Jct. I'd guess Barber as a gateway will remain the "same", although affected by the downturn in traffic. PAS is the vehicle for NS to rescue the west end from collapse through capital investment while gaining a share in the managment of their investments, while for Pan Am it represents essentially giving up 50% of the revenue on the move from Ayer to Mechanicsville via PAS to pay for NS's investment. I'd have to believe that with PAS going only as far east as Ayer belies what has been a long-term situation from Pan Am's (and earlier with MEC) perspective: that the ex-MEC franchise is amongst their most profitable lines of business and having as many possible competing outlets works to their benefit, so Pan Am needs "direct" access to CSX via Worcester.
  by cpf354

Good points. After all CSX didn't raise any objections to PAS. My thought would be that given the history of the Barber connection (it was created only as recently as 1989, to handle covered auto racks) and that Pan Am is hoping to get more CSX interchange at Rotterdam to and from the VRS, that less CSX traffic will move through Barber in favor of Rotterdam Jct. Pan Am also needs to maintain 20 some miles of track to reach the connection. But, the obvious isn't always the truth in the railroad bussiness, so I guess we'll see! :-)
  by QB 52.32

cpf354 wrote:Good points. After all CSX didn't raise any objections to PAS. My thought would be that given the history of the Barber connection (it was created only as recently as 1989, to handle covered auto racks) and that Pan Am is hoping to get more CSX interchange at Rotterdam to and from the VRS, that less CSX traffic will move through Barber in favor of Rotterdam Jct. Pan Am also needs to maintain 20 some miles of track to reach the connection. But, the obvious isn't always the truth in the railroad bussiness, so I guess we'll see! :-)
True enough! It will be interesting to see how things play out with Pan Am's CSX gateways once PAS gets under way. Because Pan Am will now be effectively splitting the revenue (and cost) of taffic moving via PAS to Rotterdam Jct. with NS, it could very well be advantageous for Pan Am to own/operate and funnel traffic for CSX via the Worcester Main. I would also believe that Pan Am would want to maintain that strategic connection should the NS take outright ownership of the Freight Main and Conn River, et. al. somewhere down the road. Perhaps Pan Am will try to "do" a PAS with CSX for the Worcester Main! :-D Also, I would have to wonder how PAS will view that shorthaul traffic from the VTR Hoosick Jct. to CSX Rotterdam Jct. Lastly, IIRC, there was PC-B&M interchange via Worcester for traffic coming out of Maine during the '70's, handled on the "Bullet" from Portland, though shut down late in the B&M's independance or early in Guilford's tenure. From my perspective it's a chess game informed by economics and history and played by participants trying to meet their own needs at any given time.
Last edited by QB 52.32 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by cpf354

IIRC, the PC and prior New Haven B&M Worcester interchange was via the South Worcester yard. The B&M would run all the way past Worcester Union Station and under the B&A down into So. Worcester. There wasn't, to my knowledge, a way for B&M trains to go directly onto the B&A, until a connecting track was installed at CP-45.
  by QB 52.32

cpf354 wrote:IIRC, the PC and prior New Haven B&M Worcester interchange was via the South Worcester yard. The B&M would run all the way past Worcester Union Station and under the B&A down into So. Worcester. There wasn't, to my knowledge, a way for B&M trains to go directly onto the B&A, until a connecting track was installed at CP-45.
Yeah, back in the early '70's, like many railroad operations in the area, the B&M-PC Worcester interchange was handled in a "yard-intensive" way, reflecting labor agreements, interchange agreements, ICC regulation governing interchange gateways and without the yet-to-come deregulation and streamlining of the '80's. In today's environment, a "run-through", or at least B&M delivery to PC's East Worcester yard, would have taken headroom down into S Worcester and shoved back through the eastward connection onto the B&A, but back then constraints dictated that the interchange be handled by both PC's S Worcester and E Worcester yards. S Worcester's switchers would forward the interchange to/from E Worcester who would switch the pick-ups and set-outs made by the road trains to/from the west. S. Worcester, IIRC, had switchers on duty 24/7, to bring the interchange to the B&M's N Worcester yard, amongst other duties, as I think it was an interchange standard back then that the delivering road would bring the interchange to the other carrier's yard and come back light. In recalling this operation, it would make sense that the B&M Worcester I/C ended in 1976 with the start of Conrail and the sale of the S. Worcester yard and Norwich branch to the P&W. I believe that traffic moving via the Worcester interchange was shifted over to Springfield at Conrail's inception until the start of 'streamlined', run-through interchange via Barbers. Under today's regulatory and labor environments, but contributiing to the loss of yards and switch jobs, carriers are able to have more control over how and where interchange occurs.
  by roberttosh

If anything, the Pan An Southern deal will push more ST/CSXT traffic over the Barbers Gateway. The ST and CSXT connect directly at Barbers Station, so why add a third carrier (PAS) in the route, especially when in CSXT's case, that third carrier is half owned by your biggest competitor.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

There is a report floating around that "SEWA/WASE, between Selkirk, New York and Waterville, Maine, have been abolished. Traffic formerly carried on this east/west train will now be handled by EDNM/NMED (East Deerfield, Massachusetts to Northern Maine Junction/Hermon, Maine) and EDRU/RUED (East Deerfield, Massachusetts to Rumford, Maine). CSXT set-offs coming out of the east will be dropped east of Ayer, Massachusetts for a pick-up by AYSE to Selkirk, New York, which travels via the Worcester Main." posted by L. H. on yahoo groups
  by newpylong

roberttosh wrote:If anything, the Pan An Southern deal will push more ST/CSXT traffic over the Barbers Gateway. The ST and CSXT connect directly at Barbers Station, so why add a third carrier (PAS) in the route, especially when in CSXT's case, that third carrier is half owned by your biggest competitor.
Why add a third carrier? Because the longer you haul cars on your railroad you more cash you make - and the third "carrier" is still a parent company of the ST. Remember, PAR owns the ST and will own 50% of the PAS. PAR will make more money by sending cars from the ST at Willows East to the PAS (still the ST) than getting them off the property.

I think in reality you will see them stuffing more cars into Rotterdam. There have been plans around for many years to re-signal the Rotterdam branch and put more yard tracks back in at RJ. If they take all VRS CSXT traffic out Hoosick Junction (also in the works) this really could become closer to a reality. The Worcester line stands to lose here.
  by roberttosh

If the ST was so interested in getting a longer haul, then why are they even using Barbers in the first place? No matter how you slice it, going over the Pan Am Southern means that you're having to give the NS a piece of the pie. Either way, I will try to find out what the plan is and post it here.
  by newpylong

roberttosh wrote:If the ST was so interested in getting a longer haul, then why are they even using Barbers in the first place? No matter how you slice it, going over the Pan Am Southern means that you're having to give the NS a piece of the pie. Either way, I will try to find out what the plan is and post it here.
Why? Because often times they have no choice. The car gets waybilled to a given interchange by the consignee and that's the way the carrier must take it.

This of course becomes a moot point if the interchange itself is shutdown.

I still don't see your logic. NS pie = ST pie too.