Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Otto Vondrak

This seems to be a popular question, so I'm going to turn this topic into a sticky...

-otto-

by badneighbor

the best way to Yankee Stadium these days is to be 40+ years old, getting paid $20,000,000 a year, and not be able to see a fastball without yer bifocals... I know... not on topic... I couldnt pass it up.. :P

by RedSoxSuck

How about the 2 to 149/GC for the 4?

The 2/3 have to be the best express runs (in terms of speed), AND he avoids having to go crosstown.

Oh, yeah, and it's all IRT!

by Carmine

Regarding, the A/C to Columbus Circle, followed by the D, option; watch out because the D train doesn't stop at Yankee Stadium during the afternoon rush hour.

So for those 7 PM start times from Monday-Friday (if the Yankees still do those?), the A/C --> D isn't the best choice.

by benltrain

Otto Vondrak wrote:Guys... c'mon... we all know the only way to arrive at Yankee Stadium is by IRT... NUMBER FOUR LINE-ALL THE TIME! :-) I didnt think I needed to tell you all that.

See you in Sec. 38.

=otto=
Besides the obvious symbolism of the 4 within Yankee Statium, is there another reason to favor it?

by CSX Conductor

I took the 4 a few weeks ago to cheer for the Sox, standing room only all the way and it definately took longer than the D. The main reason why I took the 4 this time was because I thought it ran above ground more than just before the stadium.

by Love Train

Neil Feldman wrote:2 transfers because you get onto the 6 at 51-Lex, then transfer to the 4 at 59-Lex, and go down 2 flights of stairs because the 4/5 is underneath the N/R/W. The best way to avoid confusion is to go to the 1/2/3/9 at Penn, go to TSQ, transfer to the GC/TSQ shuttle, then go to the 4 from there. Secondary is taking the A/C to 59-CC, then transfer to the D. B is lenghty, and not adviseable, and only operates to 161 during Rush Hours only even though there is extra D service provided there after Yankee games.
But not on weekends until the fall, because every weekend until the fall the 4 train is scraping the wall because they have to be turned at Brooklyn Bridge.

by Love Train

Oh, I believe taking the subway to the baseball game adds to the essence of the game itself! Taking the subway is part of the fun. You can drive to the Stadium and enjoy a Yankees game. But you can take the Subway to the Stadium and enjoy a Yankees game...AND feel like a true New Yorker.

I have not seen a Yankees game yet, but I've seen one Mets game and one US Open, and of course I took the subway to get there. I wouldn't go any other way.

by Love Train

As a matter of fact, I just saw my first Yankees game two weeks ago! And of course, I took the (4) train to get there (scraping the wall on a weekend, damnit!). An awesome subway ride, and the game was even better (the Bombers beat the Twins 10-1).

by PeteyNice

I wasn't sure if this warranted its own topic so I decided to stick it here. I went to Game 1 on Tuesday. It was after 11:30 by the time I got to the 4 platform. A train came and it was a local and only went as far as Brooklyn Bridge. I asked a uniformed guy on the platform (not sure if he was MTA or NYPD) what the deal was. He told me the next train would go to Brooklyn but every train out of Yankee Stadium would be local. Taking him at his word I jumped on the train and then decided to take my life in my hands and transfer to the 2 at 149. The 2 I got was an express which was nice and I got to Park Place in time to get the PATH train I needed but my question is this. Was that true? Because the Yankee game ended so late *every* train after the game went local? That would be a nightmare.

by CHIP72

Love Train wrote:Oh, I believe taking the subway to the baseball game adds to the essence of the game itself! Taking the subway is part of the fun. You can drive to the Stadium and enjoy a Yankees game. But you can take the Subway to the Stadium and enjoy a Yankees game...AND feel like a true New Yorker.

I have not seen a Yankees game yet, but I've seen one Mets game and one US Open, and of course I took the subway to get there. I wouldn't go any other way.
I totally agree with both points. I've also enjoyed some of the most interesting baseball (or sports) talk in general on those trains. The most enjoyable experiences I've had among the trains I've used to baseball games (see tagline below) was on the 7 Train to Shea Stadium (and I'm a Phillies fan!). That sucker gets packed though!

by Jeff Smith

Great shot of the new Yankee Stadium rising in June 07 Railpace (no link, I believe you need to be a subscriber) with the Jerome Ave El IRT in the background. I wonder if there will be a direct connection from platform to Stadium. One thing I just thought of - it used to be that the effect of taking the 4 was to see the stadium as you rose out of the tunnel from 149th. Now, with the stadium to the north of 161st St. and further down a straightaway, you might not get that great effect.

by SecaucusJunction

I live right on the border of NY and NJ in northeast Bergen County and I am looking for a way to get to Yankee Stadium on the train. I tried getting on the NJT Main/Bergen Line and Subway one Saturday at 11:30 for a 1:00 game and ended up getting to the game in the 3rd inning. I am looking at other ways including crossing the Tappan Zee and using MN's Hudson Line. Are there subway stations near the stations on the lower Hudson Line? I dont mind walking a few blocks if it is not a bad neighborhood. What is the best way to get there?

by Jeff Smith

I agree with Otto, no good Hudson line options. I would suggest an alternative to GCT or 125th and the 4, though. If you drive across the TZB, take the NYS Thruway/Deegan down to 233rd St. At end of ramp continue straight onto Jerome Av. until you get to Bainbridge Av. You can park around there (Bainbridge Av is a good bet facing north, along one side is a park, although the other, businesses. Good bar on the corner/triangle right underneath the Woodlawn IRT station. I've done this in the past and haven't had problems. Take the 4 down to Yankee Stadium, stand/sit on right, you'll probably get a good view of new stadium. Good way to save on parking and train fare, all you need is your Metrocard.

If you're feeling especially nostalgic, get off the Thruway at the Saw Mill and take that down to Mosholu Parkway. You can reminisce about the Put and look at some of the ROW if the growth isn't too bad. You can either cut over to the IRT at Gun Hill Rd, or continue down to the Mosholu stop on the IRT 4, but don't know much about that neighboorhood.

by Jeff Smith

I just ran across something else, on the forgotten NY web-site. They had pictures of the old Polo Grounds shuttle (part of the old 9th Av El). The shuttle connected the IRT in northern Manhattan to the Jerome Av line in the Bronx, and ran until shortly after the NY Giants decamped for SF roundabout 1956. Parts of the shuttle belonged originally to the New York and Northern (I think), which later became the Put. The IRT acquired the portion from the Polo Grounds terminal of the Put, across the 158th St Bridge (a swing bridge, long gone) and on to Jerome Av. The Put terminal moved to Sedgewick Av, where there was a transfer station for the old Put to the 9th Av El extension. That station is now on the other side of the Deegan, but quite a few remnants are left. Wonder what effect the new Stadium will have on these relics?