Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by JamesT4

The following rail service was going to take affect on July 17, 2005
but had been canceled.
For rail & bus service cuts, use this link below.
http://transitchicago.com/news/motion/b ... ctions.pdf

PROPOSED RAIL SERVICE REDUCTIONS AND ELIMINATIONS

Blue Line
Weekdays: AM rush hour service every 6-10 minutes (currently 3.5-7.5) / Intervals between trains will be increased
Saturdays:Intervals between trains will be increased
Sunday:Intervals between trains will be increased

Brown Line
Weekdays: Eliminate service 12:30a to 2:05a / AM rush service every 5 minutes (current 3-4 minutes) / Intervals between trains will be increased.
Saturdays:Eliminate service 12:30a to 2:05a / Intervals between trains will be increased.
Sunday: No change to hours of service.

Green Line
Weekdays: No change to hours of service / AM rush service every 10 minutes (current 7.5 minutes) / Intervals between trains will be increased Saturdays: Eliminate service 6:00a to 6:30a / Intervals between trains will be increased.
Sunday: No change to hours of service / Intervals between trains will be increased.

Orange Line
Weekdays: Eliminate service 11:30p to 12:55a / AM rush service every 10 minutes (current 5-8 minutes) / Intervals between trains will be increased.
Saturdays: Eliminate service 4:35a to 5:35a and 11:30p to 12:50a / Intervals between trains will be increased
Sunday: No change to hours of service / Intervals between trains will be increased

Purple Line
Weekdays: Eliminate service 4:35a to 5:00a.
Saturdays: Eliminate service 1:00a to 1:50a / Intervals between trains will be increased.
Sunday No change to hours of service / Intervals between trains will be increased.

Purple Line Express
Weekdays: Service Eliminated.

Red Line
Weekdays: AM rush hour service every 5-7.5 minutes (current 3-5) / Intervals between trains will be increased.
Saturdays: Intervals between trains will be increased.
Sunday: Intervals between trains will be increased.

Yellow Line
Weekdays: No change in hours of service / AM rush hour service every 15 minutes (current 7-8) / Intervals between trains will be increased

Owl Service will not be Discontuined.
Last edited by JamesT4 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by San Diego Transit

Are they serious... nearly every line is cut back or cut all together. CTA needs to rethink its entire operation from who does what to what goes where. Hard to believe they are forced to cut as much as what is on the list. Management should be flushed out.

by MikeF

New Illinois state budget was just approved and it gives the CTA another $55 million to avoid service cuts.

by MACTRAXX

Guys: See my post under "BLOCK 37" about my feelings about the proposed express service to the airports. With the passage of the $55 million funding plan will these or any other cuts go into effect in July? The one line where CTA HAS adequate track capacity(Howard) they have proposed eliminating the Evanston Express service altogether. If the limited stop premium fare service to the Airports is promoted over keeping regular service running,the CTA needs to have its priorities straightened out! MACTRAXX

by doepack

MACTRAXX, since the new funding was secured, all of the threatned July service cuts will not occur. But I wouldn't be surprised if CTA has another funding crisis again next year, and we're threatned yet again with another round of "doomsday" service cuts...

by MACTRAXX

DOEPACK: Lets all hope that cooler heads prevail and nothing rash occurs! MACTRAXX

by MikeF

While the threatened service cuts have been averted, the CTA is already saying it needs more money -- something along the lines of $100 million if I recall correctly.

by JamesT4

MikeF wrote:New Illinois state budget was just approved and it gives the CTA another $55 million to avoid service cuts.
This money will really keep the CTA from cutting to proposed sunday service on it routes.

Also noted that if the CTA do go on with the service cuts,( eventhou it may not happen since cta is getting 55 million from the state)the fares are suppose to go from $1.75 to $2.00 for bus and rail.

As i stated they may not raise fares, or cut routes now that they are getting money from the state.

This is now up to the CTA to decide on what is going to happen.

by MetraRy

i highly doubt anything as drastic as the afor mentioned would happen .

by MikeF

The official announcement came today that the RTA is giving the CTA $54 million and the CTA will make none of the "doomsday" service cuts that it had threatened. A portion of that money was originally planned to go to Pace, which will instead receive a smaller amount from the RTA's discretionary fund.

Editorial section: Did anybody see the news clip of Frank Kreusi making this announcement today? Could he have sounded any more arrogant when he said, "What the RTA does with Pace ... is really none of my business"?! Threaten, threaten, take, take -- with no regard for the rest of the region's needs. The time is long overdue for responsible management at the CTA.

by F40CFan

MikeF wrote:Threaten, threaten, take, take -- with no regard for the rest of the region's needs. The time is long overdue for responsible management at the CTA.
You hit the nail right on the head, MikeF. AMEN!!!

by byte

What really needs to be done is a total integration of all the area's mass transit authorities. CTA + Metra + Pace. I know they're brought together under the RTA but that seems to be only an excuse for them all to fight for a bigger share of the funding.

by EricL

By the way, as of yesterday the 2005 cuts are officially called off.

by orangeline

All it means is that in 6 months the BS starts all over again, except CTA is already predicting a $100 M deficit for 2006! When I lived there I thought New York politics were screwy, but in Illinois they're truly FUBAR!

by EricL

orangeline wrote:All it means is that in 6 months the BS starts all over again, except CTA is already predicting a $100 M deficit for 2006!
That's why I made sure to throw the '2005' in my post. :wink: