• SEPTA Historic Fleet Sold For SCRAP!

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by MarkW

I just found that a scrap dealer in Camden has bought all of the remaining cars that SEPTA has. That includes: 7 Almond Joys, 5 PCC's, A boxcar full of parts and sadly, The 4 Historic Broad Street Cars.

I wish somebody can do something... Those Broad Street Cars are gems.. :(

by jfrey40535

Those BSL cars at Fern Rock were sold for scrap? I knew they had them up for sale. I thought the cars were operational though, one of them is a old Bridge Line Car (I think). I guess if they were in such bad shape, then none of the museums were interested. Too bad they never got used on fan trips, or that SEPTA doesen't run any rambles like the Reading used to.

by wagz

The 3 old BSL cars in decent shape were indeed used for fantrips. I rode one myself back in my youth sometime in the early 90s I would say. It was Sunday, and there were Eagles Express trains on the line. It was a 3.5 hour trip covering the Express tracks to Walnut, the Ridge spur, the lower level of Pattison, and even a short stay on the upper level storage tracks north of Erie while we waited for other trains to pass. The train was made of a North Borad Car, South Broad Car and a Bridge Car, the 3 that are in the yard coupled together behind the other North Broad car that is in worse shape.

Joe

by JeffK

OK, I'll grant that SEPTA isn't in the business of running a rail museum, but it's disgustng that they don't give a #%@! about ensuring that ANYTHING is made available to someone else who could preserve it. Otherwise why would they have left all those PCCs to rot in the open near I-95 and elsewhere? And does everyone remember the crime they committed with one of the old PSTC cars about 15 years ago? They actually had agreed to give the car to a museum, with the proviso that it be out of the yard by a specific time. The flatbed got caught in traffic and was running about an hour late. The driver called SEPTA to explain the situation but the response was that the contracted time was firm. By the time the flatbed made it to Victory Ave. SEPTA already had a crew taking a torch to the car.

Sick, sick, sick!!!

by jfrey40535

True they are not in the museum business, but you think they could let other organizations sponser charters for them, and maybe at their expense, keep the cars maintained, and stored underground (plenty of places to do so). But alas, this is SEPTA, where anything of historical value gets the torch.

by Jersey_Mike

Someone pointed out that the BSS cars belong to the City and are not SEPTA's to sell. What about that?

by SEPTALRV9072

that was me and i recomend we contact the city to see if they actually know what's going on.

by jfrey40535

FYI as of today all 4 cars are still there. I'm not sure if they have been moved recently, but it looks like the Bridge car has been decoupled from the rest.

What's up with the Conrail boxcar up there?

by chuchubob

jfrey40535 wrote:FYI as of today all 4 cars are still there. I'm not sure if they have been moved recently, but it looks like the Bridge car has been decoupled from the rest.

What's up with the Conrail boxcar up there?
Here are links to two photos taken today at Fern Rock Yard.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/u ... -25+24.jpg

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/u ... -25+25.jpg

Bob

by MarkW

Looks like the BSS cars may have a chance of being saved. I spoke to somebody today who has a copy of a letter that is from the city dept of public property (Or whatever the name is) The letter tells SEPTA in no uncertain terms, The cars are NOT yours to sell. Let's see what happens.........
Last edited by MarkW on Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

by pennengineer

MarkW wrote:Looks like the BSS cars may have a chance of being saved. I spoke to somebody today who has a copy of a letter that is from the city dept of public property (Or whatever the name is) The letter tells SEPTA in no uncertain terms, The care are NOT yours to sell. Let's see what happens.........
Please keep us posted!

by jfrey40535

Would be nice if someone actually showed an interest in preserving/using them. Couldn't they at least break even on fantrips if they charged $20/head or something like that? During the summer if they ran a fantrip once a month I'm sure they could attract some interest. Too bad it's all underground and can't run on PATCO.

From what I can tell, it looks like the tracks on the upper level at Erie aren't being used much, that would be a great place to keep them safe from the elements.

by flynnt

I really can't see any justification for SEPTA keeping equipment they no longer have use for. If some group wants to take responsiblity and front the money to maintain old cars that is fine, but not with SEPTA money.

If a group wants to run fan trips, that is great. But to have SEPTA gamble and try to "break even" is an irresponsible use of taxpayer money.

As a rider, I want to see my fare go towards operating expenses, not trying to hold onto the past. If I were an employees, I would be livid at the thought of ANY money going to preserve old cars when I am facing increasing costs for health insurance.

by jfrey40535

If a group wants to run fan trips, that is great. But to have SEPTA gamble and try to "break even" is an irresponsible use of taxpayer money
What arrangements were there when fantrips were held on the original PCC's? Maybe an arrangement like that would work.

by Matthew Mitchell

SEPTA has a charter tariff for its various rail modes (I don't see it online). IIRC, they increased the charter rates substantially a few years ago.