• SEPTA Employees injured

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by benltrain

It was said on Fox 29 that 3 SEPTA employees were injured in a boiler explosion. Burns and one leg injury. service was unaffected.

this was on the bus divison, but come on- sometimes I feel it pathetic that SEPTA's only news coverage is about false alarms on bombs, people getting run over, and now boiler explosions!?!?
  by octr202

benltrain wrote:It was said on Fox 29 that 3 SEPTA employees were injured in a boiler explosion. Burns and one leg injury. service was unaffected.

this was on the bus divison, but come on- sometimes I feel it pathetic that SEPTA's only news coverage is about false alarms on bombs, people getting run over, and now boiler explosions!?!?
That's usually true for most transit authorities -- you only make the news when something goes wrong or someone's mad.

Its life in the transit business -- you never get much thanks for a job well done, but you sure hear about the bad stuff.
  by Silverliner II

For those who don't know, a boiler exploded at Southern Depot Wednesday morning.

Thursday night, en route to work, I noticed almost the entire population of Southern's buses parked in the Citizen's Bank Park lot, in the 10th & Packer corner.

This morning, I found out from a source that Southern's buses will be temporarily parked/based there until the depot is deemed safe to occupy again; they told me the fire marshal has condemmed the depot....

Still looking to confirn a few other details.....will post when available

by jfrey40535

I bet SEPTA would love to get rid of that old building too, similar to their quest to rid themselves of Comly. If Southern gets knocked down, its definite doom for the trackless system down there, as if keeping the building would bring the trackless back.

by Clearfield

jfrey40535 wrote:If Southern gets knocked down, its definite doom for the trackless system down there, as if keeping the building would bring the trackless back.
Trackless is already doomed in South Philly. Its not coming back, and that's a fact. Look for more Hybrids over time there.
  by R3 Rider

octr202 wrote:That's usually true for most transit authorities -- you only make the news when something goes wrong or someone's mad.
Heck, that's just the news in general. "If it bleeds, it leads."
  by jb9152

octr202 wrote:
benltrain wrote:It was said on Fox 29 that 3 SEPTA employees were injured in a boiler explosion. Burns and one leg injury. service was unaffected.

That's usually true for most transit authorities -- you only make the news when something goes wrong or someone's mad.

Its life in the transit business -- you never get much thanks for a job well done, but you sure hear about the bad stuff.
So, so true. Having worked there for years in passenger service, I often thought about how the trains performed versus the highways. It became expected for the trains to operate virtually perfectly, while the highways often got a pass - they were just expected to be congested.

But let the Paoli train be 5 minutes late? Hoo boy...don't be in uniform on the platform...