• Septa conductor/engineer vs Freight conductor/engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Miz860

Good morning all. There is a unique opportunity that has presented itself in front of me. Septa has posted their regional rail conductor/engineer position and I am in the hiring process for CSX also. Just wanted to know if anyone had any insight on which would you choose if you were young and starting your career, also why would you choose one over the other. Any additional information about both would be helpful also. Thanks for your time all..
  by COEN77

One can put in an application it doesn't hurt. It might be good for a back up. I don't know about it being a unique opportunity. CSX gave you a conditional offer, you've had the physical, next process IF everything checks out is the start date. Turning that down it would pretty much black ball anyone from getting another chance to work for a class 1 railroad. If SEPTA is faster at the hiring pace then it shouldn't be a concern, but I have yet to see anyone whose applied to a freight, passenger, or commuter railroad get a speedy automatic hire date.
  by Miz860

COEN, I agree with everything you are saying. I guess my question is which one would you accept if you were me regardless of which one offers the job first and why would you pick one over the other. Pay for septa is $18.37 hr to start and you work 6 on 1 off until completion of either conductor or enginner training which could be 3 years from hire date. I'm still not sure how the pay works for csx but from my understanding you don't have days off... again any insight will be great.
  by 8th Notch

We cannot make that decision for you, ultimately you have to pick the one that works best for you if it came down to it. They are 2 completely different animals and from what I am understanding, you already got hired by one. You cannot bank on being hired by Septa so you might as well follow through with the opportunity you have been presented with. The rest boils down to A you work passenger service or B you work freight. As far as days off go the railroad is required to give you rest as per the FRA, freight and passenger have different rules so regardless of which you go with, you will have a dedicated rest day (or 2 depending on the cycle).
  by Miz860

Understood. Just to clarify CSX has bot hired me yet. Best believe if they call me monday and say be ready for the FEB class I will be taking that. Septa is my backup because of what I experienced with Norfolk Southern during that hiring process. Days off is not the concern, I am honestly just trying to make as much money as possible to provide for my family and to compensate for the time away from home.
  by maddoxdy

Is the SEPTA position for the regional rail? What they have told me is that you start as an Asst Conductor. I hope you are good at customer service. On a commuter train you will be working directly with the public.

Doug M
  by NorthPennLimited

A top-rate engineer at SEPTA makes around $34 per hour. What does a top-rate CSX engineer get paid?

Freight guys run a train and go to a 1 star hotel to take rest with the cockroaches and bed bugs. Commuter guys are home every night in their warm bed after rush hour.
  by Miz860

NorthPennLimited wrote:A top-rate engineer at SEPTA makes around $34 per hour. What does a top-rate CSX engineer get paid?

Freight guys run a train and go to a 1 star hotel to take rest with the cockroaches and bed bugs. Commuter guys are home every night in their warm bed after rush hour.
Thats what I am trying to figure out..... what a CSX conductor makes
  by NorthPennLimited

According to "the Internet"

Top rate SEPTA engineer is $34 per hour

Top rate CSX conductor/brakeman/switchmen/yard foreman at top rate makes between $25 and $30 per hour depending on the class of service. Their training pay seems to be a flat rate of $136 per day which equals approximately $17 per hour. This is based on rates of pay on the UTU website that covers all the freight Lacals in the mid Atlantic area.

http://www.myutubo.com/Attach/Docs/052c ... f43a7a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like Csx will start you out at 75% of top rate for your first year, so after training, looks like you will be on $19 per hour jobs until you progress to better job positions and pay rates.

Based on the math, seems like your earning potential has better opportunity at SEPTA.

Now you have to figure out which has more job security?
  by COEN77

Freight conductor it depends on the job. Freight is based on miles not hourly rate. Basic day is 130 miles. I've worked both long & short runs. Last 8 years I worked before retiring on CSX was a 72 mile run that pays basic 130 miles. Most times we would go down on coal loads go right back home on empties in 10 hours. That two days pay in one. With freight a lot depends on the individual as to how aggressive they are. I've worked Interdivisional (ID) runs that were 196 & 234 miles. Spent time in hotels on those runs not 1 star maybe 2-3 star. lol. Those higher milage runs paid well. Not unusual to make 6 digits. Both commuter & freight everything is based on seniority.
  by Miz860

Here is the description for the SEPTA regional rail job......

SEPTA is accepting on-line applications for future vacancies for the position of Conductor/Engineer Trainee, in its Regional Rail Division. The Trainee position is on a career path to become full time Regional Rail Conductors or Locomotive Engineers. During the training program, Conductor/Engineer trainees will collect fares on the Commuter trains, and will also be responsible for reconciling, and depositing cash and tickets from riders on our Regional Rail trains. Within two years of hire, all Locomotive/Conductor trainees will be required to enter a program to become full time Conductors or Locomotive Engineers. (SEPTA Regional Rail Managers will determine which class you will enter, based on staffing requirements.)

As a Trainee, successful candidates will work a six day week, with one day off. In addition, Conductor Trainees work irregular hours and split shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays. Once hired, Conductor Trainees will wear a SEPTA uniform, and meet personal grooming standards. This position requires walking, climbing stairs, and sometimes working outdoors.

Must have reliable transportation (your car, or someone else's) to travel to reporting locations, such as West Trenton, Trenton, Doylestown, Thorndale, and Chestnut Hill, to name a few. You will not always be able to ride SEPTA trains or busses to your reporting locations, because often you will need to arrive in the early morning, before any mass transit is running.

This position requires a high school diploma, driver's license, and paid professional experience working directly with the public. Experience handling cash is preferable. Familiarity with SEPTA Regional Rail train lines, stops, destinations, and fare structure is also preferred.

We offer a starting rate of $18.68 /hour, with pay rate percentage increases starting at 13 months. We offer a competitive benefits package, an employee transportation pass, good on all SEPTA vehicles, and paid vacation and holidays.
  by supernova1972

CSX or any Class 1 has HUGE swing for pay. You might get on a terminal with all lower paying conventional yard jobs, or a great road terminal and go straight to a quick turning extra board.

That being said, at my terminal if you want yard work, holding an RCO yard job 5 days a week with no OT or doubles pay about $2600-2800 a half, so about $35/hour or so average. Usually you get at least 30 min or so a day OT just cleaning up and tying up so around $3k a half is average for 5 days a week. Road will pay more, on average $100 a ticket more.

Also just FYI, maybe back in the YMCA days you could say lodging was bad, but all the hotels I stay at (7 for all road jobs I cover) are pretty nice. 4 of them are much nicer than I would pay for if I were traveling.
  by Miz860

supernova1972 wrote:CSX or any Class 1 has HUGE swing for pay. You might get on a terminal with all lower paying conventional yard jobs, or a great road terminal and go straight to a quick turning extra board.

That being said, at my terminal if you want yard work, holding an RCO yard job 5 days a week with no OT or doubles pay about $2600-2800 a half, so about $35/hour or so average. Usually you get at least 30 min or so a day OT just cleaning up and tying up so around $3k a half is average for 5 days a week. Road will pay more, on average $100 a ticket more.

Also just FYI, maybe back in the YMCA days you could say lodging was bad, but all the hotels I stay at (7 for all road jobs I cover) are pretty nice. 4 of them are much nicer than I would pay for if I were traveling.
What does a half mean? I have been seeing this alot and have no idea what it means.