• Sen. Schumer wants LIRR anti-terrorist security improved

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Ken W2KB

WASHINGTON, March 7 -- The office of Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., issued the following press release:

On the heels of last week's news that Grand Central Station was a potential target for a terrorist attack, today Sen. Charles E. Schumer released details of a study that shows that Long Island Railroad stations lack the critical security infrastructure to keep their riders safe. A survey done twice in the last year shows that even after the Department of Homeland Security issued directives to enhance physical security at LIRR stations, the MTA has not taken the necessary steps. In an effort to combat this scenario, today Schumer sent a letter to James Dermody, the President of the LIRR asking for an update on the status of the security upgrades and asking the LIRR to be more proactive in following the DHS guidelines.

"DHS has set up guidelines to make rail commuters safer, and it seems that the Long Island Rail Road is ignoring them," said Schumer. "Over 280,000 New Yorkers use the Long Island Rail Road daily and according to this data, they are no safer today than they were on September 10th."

DHS security directives issued in May 2004 call on transit operators to enhance physical security by, installing bomb-resistant trashcans, erecting vehicle and pedestrian barricades, and installing closed circuit security cameras. According to the Schumer Analysis, the DHS security directives issued almost one year ago have not been followed by the MTA.

The mandatory measures cover a broad range of security issues and provide flexibility to meet the specific needs of rail operators. They substantiate existing best practices in the rail industry and were created ensure enhanced security across the nation's passenger rail systems. In addition to the physical security guidelines included in the study, DHS also recommended that: rail operators designate coordinators to enhance security-related communications with the TSA; canine explosive teams are used when needed; and that facility inspections should be conducted by rail operators for suspicious or unattended items.

The Long Island Railroad services over 280,000 passengers every day on 730 daily trains and is part of the largest mass transit system in the country, which transports 8 million people every day. At Penn Station, the Manhattan terminus of all 11 LIRR lines, 400,000 passengers pass through every day on LIRR, Amtrak, NJ Transit, and NYC subway system.

In a survey done twice in the last year of 30 of the most heavily trafficked of the 124 LIRR stations in Nassau, and Suffolk none had blast resistant and transparent garbage cans, only 10% were equipped with vehicle barriers, and only 10% were found to have closed circuit security cameras.

Schumer said that the MTA is not fully to blame and the DHS needs to provide the resources necessary to implement the security measures it recommends.

"Last year's Madrid bombings were the first wake up call, the fires in Penn Station's tunnels in October were the second, and last week we learned that a Madrid bomber suspect had designs on Grand Central Station. How many warnings does Washington needs before it takes decisive action to really protect our rail system, both in word and in deed," said Schumer.

"DHS and the Administration have issued a vital security directive and have not backed up their demands with the necessary funding. The federal government needs to devote the resources so transit systems across the country, especially the MTA, can upgrade security as dictated by DHS," Schumer added.

Today Schumer said that the federal government needs to dedicate the kind of energy and resources to rail safety that it devotes to air safety. According to U.S. Customs Officials, every passenger who goes through an airport terminal now passes a radiation detector that can sense chemical, biological, or explosive material on their bodies. Schumer called for the federal government to accelerate the development of similar detectors for rail stations.

In his letter to Dermody, Schumer wrote, "In the wake of the Madrid train bombings last year and the recent revelation that the terrorists involved in the attacks possessed sketches and notes about Grand Central Station, I urge you to work to better secure the 124 LIRR station across Long Island that serve almost 300,000 New Yorkers every day….I respectfully request you provide a report on any progress the LIRR and the MTA have made toward better securing LIRR stations in Nassau and Suffolk. In addition, I ask that you include any future plans you may have to better secure both stations and trains, and to protect the millions of New Yorkers who use your service every week."

Schumer also announced today that he would again support The Rail Security Act, bipartisan rail security legislation that will soon be introduced in the Senate. A similar bill stalled in the House of Representatives last year. Had it passed, it would have: allotted $1.2 billion over five years for improvements to passenger and freight rail systems throughout the country; directed the Homeland Security Department to assess security risks to freight and passenger rail and develop recommendations for securing them; require DHS to study the cost and feasibility of screening all passengers, baggage and mail that travels on Amtrak trains; and would require the department to conduct a pilot program to randomly screen passengers and baggage at as many as 10 rail stations.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again - you have a much greater chance of getting hurt riding in a car than during a terror attack, and we have to continue to live our lives as normal. I've ridden trains my entire life, and my family and I will continue to ride the rails. Despite all the steps we need to take, there's no reason to stay off the trains," Schumer said.

To view the letter, visit http://schumer.senate.gov/SchumerWebsit ... -07-05.pdf .

by Lirr168

Chuck Schumer is an idiot. For some reason, he believes he is helping to improve security by pointing out all of the loopholes that exist. However, there have been no significant changes in the way the railroad operates. All he is accomplishing is showing the terrorits exactly how they can exploit our weaknesses.

by Long Island 7285

i dont know who to blame for this so im not pointing any fingers to any one agencey/dept.

but what poorly educated idiot would put a MTA Ploice H/Q in GC along the abandon tracks. im shure a terrorist is really dame intrested in blowng up clinton road station as im intrested rebuilding the line.

also Mineola is not the "major hub" for the LIRR but they seem to be like MP's over there all the time.

ok folks, either the MTA or DHS or some idiot needs to wake up and smell the foldgers in his cup because Jamaica is the place that needs the most in security not the GCS and these other stops out east, im not in any way saying not to improve safety. but if one cant easlly put a pipe bomb in a breif case (dont look unusal yet) walk up on to the platform @ jamaica, that bastard car simply press a button and poof millions of $$$ losts and people hurt and killed.

this is where it gets techincal and that is if a well organized event like 911 were to be taken out on the LIRR the terrorist would be most wanting to (discuise them selves in a larg croud) ie jamaica @ rush hr. it would be a blast for that as thell under mind america again and obliviate the LIRR's only way to points west.
there is no way in liveing hell that the LIRR can be 100% terrorist proof but starting by using all potential resources u can do somthing and that includes using us railfnas and emplyees and undercover weapons against terrorism.
I can go into "rant mode" and make a list and thereof about things that can be done to make some improvements. but i want to keep it short and sweet

PS. to better understand a "criminal" is to go inside there mind. think like they do then youll have the knowledg to defend agansed them

by DogBert

you'd have to be blind to not know where lirr security is laxed. News outlets report flaws every day. If schumer just asked for money, they'd ask the question everyone else asks when someone wants money: "why? what are you going to do with it?"

The cat left the bag long ago. If I wanted a blueprint of the ERTs, I'm sure I could find one online or in a library...

by SeldenJrFireman

In my opinion, there could be thousands of troops spread across the island at all stations, but Mr. Akbar is still going to find a way to do what he wants to accomplish. I just think it is another waste of time and money.

by Long Island 7285

SeldenJrFireman,

Thank You,

You just summed it up..

if he wants to blow up the LIRR or the LIE or what ever the "beep" he wants, He will find a way how to do it w/ or w/o security.

by Lirr168

I agree that if they really want to blow up something on the LIRR they're going to find a way to do it. However, Schumer and these other morons who keep pointing out all the major flaws in our security are simply making it easier for them to do.