• Seashore Lines still not running

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

by PRSL1972

No it is locomotive problems

by Frogger

CMSL posts that 7/28 service won't happen, I think it means 7/29. Update coming it says.

by BrianM

So, did they run today?

Brian

by NJ Vike

BrianM wrote:So, did they run today?

Brian
No. I went down there today and there was a cancellation sign at Richland.

by NJ Vike

I do to but it was finally nice for me to see Richland as I've only seen Tuckahoe. It looks like all their trains are there but the last time I was down at Rio Grande, it looked as if they left trains there too.

I also got to finally find Wildwood Junction. Just as I wanted to go back there, I hear what appears to sound like guns going off. Is there hunting in that area? I didn't think so but I figured it wouldn't be a good idea.

The people at the Oil Company there said that their driveway was were the branch was. They also believe they are two structures back there. I only thought there was one with a semaphore.

by Notch 8

Mr Mott:

Please explain your negativity towards the Cape May Seashore Lines. Throughout the course of this topic you have repeatedly taken the opportunity to get delight out of another shortline's misfortune while pumping your chest about the SRNJ. This is not only unprofessional but childish. Let me remind you that both the CMSL and the SRNJ are non competing members of the New Jersey Shortline Railroad Association. Continuous bashing of one shortline against another on a public fourum is most likely against the Bylaws of the association. I'm sure Mr. Petaccio does not want his railroad looked at in a negative light by his peers. The SRNJ has quite a few of it own faults from trackwork to equipment so before pointing out another short line's faults, make sure your house is in order. You could wake a sleeping giant.

As an Engineer for both Conrail and NJ Transit I have had the opportunity to interchange and meet crews for both shortlines. The CMSL crews have always been curtious and professional. While there seem to be rough times down there, I am sure things will turn around for them. For the past 10 years they have kept the Cape May branch from turning into a bike path trough the pine trees. As shoobies continue to flock the the shore, keeping this line open is critical to someday again re establishing commuter service from Cape May County to the rest of the world. At which time myself and the rest of the NJ Transit roster will be more than happy to provide the passengers with rides.

by George W. Rosenzweig

Far be it for me to chastise a specific Railroad.net member, but I must echo Notch 8's sentiments. Mr. Mott indeed seems to take particular delight in misfortunes experienced by the CMSL. Why would anyone who purports to be a railroad supporter/employee/enthusiast be happy that a railroad is experiencing troubles? It certainly isn't due to merely feeling sorry for anyone who took their families for a planned train ride. Mr. Mott's post history shows a repeated negativity for any and all things CMSL; in fact, several threads on this company (including the present thread) have either been shut down, or modified on account of continued diatribes by two or three people, of whom Mr. Mott is always one.

My point is simply this: railroad supporters have enough difficulty convincing the general public about trains as a bonafide means of transportation. Infighting merely exacerbates an already delicate issue. NO shortline railroad is flawless, and this includes the CMSL AND the SRNJ. Supporting our local shortlines is the key towards expanding their visibility to the public, as well as increasing their expansion as companies, and the communities they serve, both now, and in the future.

by BrianM

Notch 8 wrote:
BrianM wrote: LOL!!!!!
Mr Mott:

Please explain your negativity towards the Cape May Seashore Lines. Throughout the course of this topic you have repeatedly taken the opportunity to get delight out of another shortline's misfortune while pumping your chest about the SRNJ. This is not only unprofessional but childish. Let me remind you that both the CMSL and the SRNJ are non competing members of the New Jersey Shortline Railroad Association. Continuous bashing of one shortline against another on a public fourum is most likely against the Bylaws of the association. I'm sure Mr. Petaccio does not want his railroad looked at in a negative light by his peers. The SRNJ has quite a few of it own faults from trackwork to equipment so before pointing out another short line's faults, make sure your house is in order. You could wake a sleeping giant.

As an Engineer for both Conrail and NJ Transit I have had the opportunity to interchange and meet crews for both shortlines. The CMSL crews have always been curtious and professional. While there seem to be rough times down there, I am sure things will turn around for them. For the past 10 years they have kept the Cape May branch from turning into a bike path trough the pine trees. As shoobies continue to flock the the shore, keeping this line open is critical to someday again re establishing commuter service from Cape May County to the rest of the world. At which time myself and the rest of the NJ Transit roster will be more than happy to provide the passengers with rides.

Lets get a few things straight. I do not see myself as bashing the CMSL. I do not take joy in the misfortunes of any shortline, nor am I on the payroll of the SRNJ. I work for a bank in Philadelphia. In all of my post on this thread I have clearly mentioned other RR in New Jersey that could also provide service for this line if the business was there. But I have also said, more than once, that if true service was/is to be restored, it should be by NJT. When have I ever "pumped my chest" on here about the SRNJ. Yes, I have posted information on the SRNJ when questions are asked. Is that not what railfans do if and when they have the information? What is wrong with that? I am a railfan and my remarks have nothing to do with the SRNJ. So get YOUR facts straight!

The CMSL is not a shortline. They are tourist operation. There is a difference. I am just sick of people on these forums treating the owner of the CMSL like he is GOD. He is not. Nor have I EVER indicated that the owner of the SRNJ was. Yes, they both have their problems. I feel bad for any RR that does. But do not make promisses that you can not keep.

I was gonna try to go down this past weekend to take the ride. I hoped that the new P70 cars that he puchased would have been in the consist. I asked questions about them under the New Jersey forum. Did I bash? I am glad that I did not go down. I do hope that there is some sort of service restored to the line, I have said that in the past as well. Take a look at any of post.

I am not against the CMSL, I am just against this "higher plain of existance" that they are placed on. What people keep forgeting here is that there are many more things involved here then just the CMSL. Like I said in my above post. What about the people that made the trip down with the kids or grandchildren to ride the first train of the season? What about the business in the area that are loosing business? Now, if he does not run nerxt week, and people make the trip again, what do think will happen? No one will come. This hurts the CMSL more as well as the business' down there.

I am sure that this post will be removed because it is not "positive". If so, then i feel that the 2 above should also be removed for the same reason. But I am sure that they will not because they are not directed at the CMSL. And to be honest, I really do not care if they are or not. There have been a few others on here that have been more "critical" than I have been towards the CMSL, but I get singled out? Get over yourselves!

Brian

by The Vicarage

I'm not aware of anyone placing the CMSL on a "higher plane of existence." Nor am I aware of anyone thinking Tony Macrie (owner) is God-like! Those are rather absurd sentiments, regardless of where they eminate from. If anyone really DOES feel this way, they do indeed need to wake up.

I think the bottom line is simply that people have respect for the line, and wish it to succeed. There's a huge difference between hoping for success, and attaching holier-than-thou attributes.

However, I've said this before: it's very easy to SAY another RR could do what the CMSL has done (especially after they laid more than a decade worth of groundwork); it's another to actually DO it. The same can be said for other RR's on established lines. CMSL is probably exceedingly frustrated and disappointed at whatever is delaying their service, likely more so than any poster here could possibly imagine. I don't envy the scenario, but business is anything but predictable, in ANY field.

by BrianM

The Vicarage wrote:
However, I've said this before: it's very easy to SAY another RR could do what the CMSL has done (especially after they laid more than a decade worth of groundwork); it's another to actually DO it. The same can be said for other RR's on established lines. CMSL is probably exceedingly frustrated and disappointed at whatever is delaying their service, likely more so than any poster here could possibly imagine. I don't envy the scenario, but business is anything but predictable, in ANY field.

This is very true.

Brian

by prr60

There seems to be a sentiment that criticism of the Cape May Seashore Lines is somehow disloyal. That such criticism is a wish for failure. And to that end several posts critical of the CMSL have been deleted from this thread (including one of mine for reasons unknown). That is a shame and suppressing legitimate criticism does nothing to solve the problem, whatever it is.

My frustration with the CMSL does not come from any hostility toward the organization but with the lack of communications concerning what is going wrong. I live in South Jersey. The line is convenient for me and represents a continuation of service on rails that I rode as a kid. I have ridden the CMSL and I want the CMSL to succeed. But all that means nothing when the trains are idle and there is no authoritative word about what is going on.

For the second straight weekend service was cancelled. This was service that was already weeks late in starting. Even if this service runs next Saturday it will be on a portion of the line that, for now, is regularly used by Conrail and is not threatened. There is no word on when or if service in the core tourist area of Cape May County on the otherwise idle tracks of the Cape May branch will resume. Over half the summer season and the associated tourist dollars are already gone. The absence of any word from CMSL leads to a natural conclusion that the problem is the CMSL. That conclusion could be dispelled with one press release or internet posting.

I am thrilled that the PRSL Cape May branch is still alive and is not a bike trail. I hope it stays that way. But for that to happen, we need a healthy CMSL or someone else to actually use the rails. The absence of CMSL service this summer is not making the long term future of the Cape May branch any brighter. Many of those criticizing the CMSL are do so in the hope that the tracks will be used, not to see the CMSL fail.

by JJMDiMunno

I appreciate the comments of everyone here recently, concerning the recent removal of posts on this forum.

To clear up the reason that some posts that were non-threatening were removed...the reason for this was simply that these posts made reference to a post that was removed for un-necessary comments. I won't remove any messages posted here recently, because I don't think they're violating anything...in fact, I think these hit the nail right on the head tonight.

And just for public record, Brian, nothing personal here as you know me and I know you. I was just trying to keep this from turning into yet another CMSL vs. SRNJ argument that I've delt with countless times on countless forums between countless people in the past...

In conclusion, if ANYONE at the Cape May Seashore Lines is available to contact me, PLEASE do so so that things can be made straight here. The company has my phone number...

Mike DiMunno

by PRSL1972

Cant we all play nice?

by lv414

This is a topic on CMSL on Trainorders that says employees are getting IOU's instead of their pay. Anyone know if this is true?

Mike did you ever hear anything from the CMSL when you wrote your reply a couple days ago asking for them to contact you about the lack of service on both lines.