• Scranton Lackawanna Station sold

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by NJTRailfan

If they wait another 10 yrs it'll be too damn expensive to even try. If it doesn't come on line by 2010 or 2012 then forget it ever commign back let alone NJT's 2020 plan where I don't even want to know the cost of it in 2020 dollars. It would be cheaper and quicker to do MOM and W Trenton then this one if work hasn't started by 2012 atleast.
  by gawlikfj

No matter where they put a passenger station it won't do any good.
People will not leave their cars and the railroads won't make money on passengers.
Freight is the answer and the money maker.

by M&Eman

In the NY Metropolitian area, the MTA breaks even regularly and NJ Transit comes damn close. There is still a market for passenger rail and rapid transit.

by MickD

I think there certainly is a market for it in Western NJ-Eastern Pa.I've gotta'think more than a few folks would prefer to in that region would
prefer closer access to commuter rail than Hackettstown or Netcong.
  by henry6

gawlikfj wrote:No matter where they put a passenger station it won't do any good.
People will not leave their cars and the railroads won't make money on passengers.
Freight is the answer and the money maker.
Your statement may not be true. People will leave their cars when there is a vaiable alternative...commuting agencies across the country prove that everyday as does certain corridor and long distance trains.

As far as making money on passengers, it is a mixed bag. There are in this country several routes that do pay expenses and then some. But the truth is that handling people in travel situations has a poor return on investment: look at the airline bankruptcies as well as the number of "routes" Grayhound has pulled out of. And railroads do make money on freight because they are not in the passenger business (a two edged answer).

But because of environmental concerns (air pollution, land use with its return on investment), traffic congestion (too many autos, trucks, buses and not enough highway space nor space to build more), travel time, parking, etc., rail passenger service in commuter and short corridor situations must be considered for the public good. We don't ask an interstate highway to "make money" yet we pour billions of dollars into them each year (and the bus companies, like Grayhound are eliminating routes). Nor do we ask the air traffic control system and municipally operated airports to make money and still many billions more dollars go into them each year (and how many airlines have turned services over to smaller airlines or abandoned routes altogether; how many airlines are going in or are in bankruptcy?). If these services can be provided at taxpayer expense without profit motive, then why can't rail service be rationalized in the same manner?
  by gawlikfj

Oh please don't misunderstand me I wish more people would get out of their cars and take trains but,its so easy for people to go in their cars.
I know Metro-North does good business into NYC and the Northeast corridor is well traveled.

by calorosome

I agree - too much hassle driving the highways, too much traffic. I've traveled by train and it is much more pleasant. If they had rail service where I live, I'd use it.

by james1787

calorosome wrote:I agree - too much hassle driving the highways, too much traffic. I've traveled by train and it is much more pleasant. If they had rail service where I live, I'd use it.
There's something satisfying about cruising through Kearny on the train looking out and seeing the stop and go traffic while I lean back, close my eyes and catch the last 5 or 10 minutes of my 'snooze' as I head to work..
  by gawlikfj

I agree there is such a pleasure in looking out a window of a train and seeing the landscape of the hills ,valley's & streams along with maybe seeing a deer or eagle .
If the price of gas keeps going up hopefully , more people will ride and enjoy the view from a train.

by bingdude

Big problem now is the ADA (Americans With Disablities Act) which requires all Federally Funded mass transit to be wheelchair accessible.

It means that any new service (like one to Scranton or Binghamton) will require high level platforms and cars with big, wide doors. It adds several $ Million to the cost of starting new service up. Another thing stacking the deck against Rail transit, financially.

It also means that station locations need to be researched more carefully, like someone said earlier in this thread. Put it where it will do the most good, which often means not where the grand old downtown station used to be.

Whether or not a train attracts riders depends on how useful it is. Amtrak's Heartland Flyer (Ft. Worth-Oklahoma City) and Down Easter (Boston North Sta- Portland, ME) are sucesses. The Heifer Zephyr (Chicago-Janesville, WI) was not.

Service to the Poconos (if not all the way to Scranton) would definitely be used.
  by gawlikfj

Last year we took Amtrak to Rochester NY. It took 7 Hrs with a long wait in Penn Station between trains. Do trains go from Scranton to Rochester NY ?
We would love to take a train from Scranton to Rochester.

by Franklin Gowen

There is no passenger rail service connecting those two cities. Sorry to burst your bubble.

by gawlikfj

Thats the thing, The tracks that were there, are taken out.
They could have been used now & would make it easier for people to get around.
The tracks that were around Lacawanna Station could make transit easier in this day & age.
Maybe take some of the masses of metal that clog the highways off.

by Tri-State Tom

gawlikfj -
Thats the thing, The tracks that were there, are taken out.
They could have been used now & would make it easier for people to get around.
The tracks that were around Lacawanna Station could make transit easier in this day & age.
Maybe take some of the masses of metal that clog the highways off.
You may want to peruse the recently released Enviornment Accessment report from NJTransit regarding the Cut-Off. Some detail on the proposed rail service to/from Scranton, the bus/rail station near Steamtown as well as the proposed train storage yard just south of the wye and Bridge 60.

Look for a sticky thread on the Cut-Off ( particularly last 8-9 pages ) on the NJTransit site here.