• Schuylkill Valley Metro

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by jfrey40535

Strangely enough, neither DVRPC nor PennDOT actually knows how much traffic from 422 continues on to I-76 East. We were hoping they'd have a number since a train to Wyomissing is being pushed so hard.

Best estimates right now are about 3,000 cars during rush hour that come from 422 East to I-76 East, and out of them, who knows which ones don't pick up 476 or exit at City Ave.
  by nomis

[Privacy aside] I'm surprised they can't harvest that data out of the speed tracker system which runs off of EZPass.
  by AlexC

nomis wrote:[Privacy aside] I'm surprised they can't harvest that data out of the speed tracker system which runs off of EZPass.
That only picks up where you got on an off the turnpike... nowhere else.

... and one of the promises of it was that they wouldn't give you tickets if you got to your exit faster than the speed limit would allow.

If you wanted to harvest data, you could do it with a phone GPS app. I saw a video of it a few months ago for LA. Quite interesting. It was all opt-in though. I'll post it if I find it.
  by ChrisinAbington

Quite frankly, one could do it with a laser vehicle counter, assuming that's how normal vehicle counts are conducted.
There is a direct ramp from PA 422 east to I-76 east with a small section on which no other traffic has access. (just after the ramp to 202 towards KOP).

In my calculations, 3000 cars an hour is still 50 cars a minute. That seems like a decent amount to me? As far as diverting traffic, I-76 isn't exactly a pleasant drive in rush hour in case nobody's noticed. I would certainly think twice about living along the 422 corridor if I had to do that drive on the Schuylkill daily.
My personal opinion is that the train is one of the few long-term options available for the corridor.