• schedule and viewing information needed and appreciated

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Lazy Dawg

Hello all,
Been lurking for some time now and decided on this winter day to reach out. I am in the Sayville area and was hoping you fine folks could suggest the best accessible viewing places on the island. I would like to start photographing some action and I'm not familiar with the hot photo spots nor the schedules to catch the movements. I grew up with the Montauk branch in my back yard. Yes... I still remember the house shaking and the dishes in the cupboards falling out when the LIRR ran with hacks. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
Thank you and regards.
LD
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Lazy Dawg wrote:Hello all,
Been lurking for some time now and decided on this winter day to reach out. I am in the Sayville area and was hoping you fine folks could suggest the best accessible viewing places on the island. I would like to start photographing some action and I'm not familiar with the hot photo spots nor the schedules to catch the movements. I grew up with the Montauk branch in my back yard. Yes... I still remember the house shaking and the dishes in the cupboards falling out when the LIRR ran with hacks. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
Thank you and regards.
LD
As always, train stations are the best locations for views and photos. At no time would I, being I can say a very responsible railfan/railroader, ever give a location to view that would involve any kind of trespassing.

The NYAR daytime freights, which if my knowledge and brain work good as always, which come out of Fresh Pond are RS-30/31, usually sets sail in the morning after the LIRR rush hour has wound down, and typically is what is called a "Jack of all Trades", it goes any line anytime, but as I understand it it sticks to the Main Line and the Montauk Line, but I hear is known to venture on the Ronkonkoma Branch, also RS-50/51, and also the Stone Train, RS-80/81. I have not fanned the LIRR/NYAR in a while, so I am not sure if their symbols have been changed, as they periodically do. The late lower Montauk runners are RS-301/302, in Queens and in Brooklyn. I believe there are now a couple other scheduled runs out of Pine Aire and Fresh Pond....once I know of them, I would be happy to post. Again, as always when railfanning......DO NOT ENTER ANY RESTRICTED AREAS!!!!