• Scary Situation in Midland Park - 7/19

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by GSP163

As the Q-271 passed through Midland Park today the warning lights and bells never triggered off at the intersection of Goffle Road & Lake Ave.......The only thing that activated was the traffic light which turned all sides red......Thank God the traffic lights were triggered or else there could have been a major accident.....Quickly we had the salesmen who deals with NYSW (since they deliver lumber constantly) and explain to them what I saw......While on the phone they called the operator of the train and they reported back saying they didn't see anything wrong......However, shortly after the call someone came down checking the tracks.....I don't know what went wrong but as I was leaving work NYSW was still there working on the signals doing consistent tests.....Talk about a possible disaster since that intersection is so busy to begin with.

by Lackawanna484

That's a very complex intersection. The railroad passes through an intersection of five streets, and on an angle, no less.

Is that just one town, or is there a town border in that intersection, too. If not, it's very close.

by GSP163

Is that just one town, or is there a town border in that intersection, too. If not, it's very close.
Yes the towns of Wyckoff, Ridgewood, & Midland Park all border each other at that intersection....However, while the center of the intersection is Midland Park but stores surrounding the intersection are in different towns:

Moble - Wyckoff
Commerce Bank - Wyckoff
A&P - Midland Park
Kuiken Brothers - Midland Park & Ridgewood (half the yard is in Ridgewood)
Wostbrook Floors - Ridgewood