Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long Island 7285

I came up with a bright idea after being to the coney is. subway shops.

the meuseum has 2 tracks set aside for them to use for the meuseum trians.

hers the plan and it will only work with everys onec coorpration.

from what I understand i may be wrong, the old back shops and transfer table in morrs park are not in use and indanger of being distroyed.

as a group lets act and stand our grounds to perserve out history and at the same time be able to use the shops for RMLI and Friends of 35 to store and work on the equpt.

Riverhead is out of room and is open to the general public. the back shops are secure withen the morris pk facility and not accessable to the general public. so as a group we should take a step foward and get off our computer chairs and make every attempt to do this. (the subway meuseum is.. u gussed it, funded by out lovely MTA) im not even asking them for a penny, even if the LIRR ownes the shops instead of letting it deteriate they let RMLI get it and used it for there own work to be done.

it should not interfer with the operation with the LIRR and the trains can be brought in as if they were just LIRR "Extras" and the same to getem back to the meuseum on the wkends.

this will benifit all of LIRR railfans and should not be overlooked. becaus when "whats left" are not standing anymore, then every one here will be Bit**ing that the shops are gone.

by LIRRNOVA55

I agree with 7285. . .rierhead is out of roam. . .and these shops have hsitorical sognificance and if rmli were to get more acuisations. . .they can be stored there. . . + the other groups can benifit to. . ( 35, twin forks )

If we all sit here typing this and bi*****. . nothing will get done. . same goes for everything at rmli to. .

by bagpiper516

I can't help but chime in here and agree. If the LIRR would finally realize there is a legitmate group of people (ie <i>us</i>) and surely many more, who are interested in the RR's history, they would see it would pay off for them in the long run, since apparently all they worry about is money.
Just my two cents.

by Clemuel

We have our work cut out for us.

A couple of Railroad employees who were members of the LI Sunrise Trail Chapter of the NRHS moved heaven and earth to preserve the MP-54's and the Double Decker that are now in Riverhead. The M-1's were coming and these had to be saved. It wasn't easy.

After the Sunrise Trail got the cars, the Railroad generously moved them all over the Island and provided space for them, first at Howell's Siding in Babylon, then at AH and Westhampton AFB, and now at Riverhead -- all free of charge. The Railroad fought off complaints from neighbors, vandalism and liability claims relative to the cars.

Meanwhile, the MTA, who really didn't need another headache knew little, if anything about the preserved cars.

When several of the group were "restored" for the Bicentennial, again the work was done through the generousity of the LIRR with money from other projects.

The MTA, like most real organizations, has not had great experience with volunteer groups. A public authority has to account for its expenditures and will, no doubt, be critized by the riding public and the taxpayers for any penny spent on "preserving old stuff". They naturally fear this and so they shun preservation programs that cost them money.

I know it's rather ironic in light of some of the funds thrown around elsewhere, but it's a fact of life. It's how they see things.

If we'd like to see Morris Park turned into a museum, only one thing will make it happen -- MONEY. Go out, get funding for cleaning up the Superfund site (the place is sopped with oil and God-knows-what). Get money for building a museum and restoring the cars and get money for operating the place professionally. Get that done and we'll have a museum.

The motivating force behind the TA Museum was Don Harold, a TA Public Relations guy and railfan who spent a lifetime planning and plotting, hiding antique cars in dark places and looking for funding.

Groping for funds is not the fun part of preservation but it's probably the most important.

Unfortunately, without the money, we're just another special interest group looking for a taxpayer handout.

Clemuel

by Long Island 7285

Im not looking for every aspect of MP asap. im at the current moment looking for exclusive use of the abandoned back shops and transferpit.

if the meueum can take that structure over prove ther abilites things will pop up. no im not asking the MTA for any taxpayer handouts just yet let the learn how to spend money and not get like michael jackson (look @ and point and say "ill take that") once there money is under control and they are outa hock then and only then would i like to seed some donations on behalf of the MTA. but over all the bigest donation from them is the structures to use. and with them restored then they can benifit from them too...

i cant go it alone. ill need a hand from every one here, so if you's can all get together and start hiding things in dark places. lets do it.

by BEDT16RMLI

I think it is a good idea but I am not going to go into Morris Park to work on a Hack. I agree with the lack of space but it would be nice to work on the RS3 inside could also use it to save a car like the rpo from geting worse then she already is.
Mike Arnold
Secratary
Twin Forks Chapter of NRHS
www.twinforksnrhs.org

by BMT

Long Island 7285, I agree that Coney Island Overhaul shop's fleet of vintages subway cars and the crew that restores them should be emulated. They do a fantastic job at restoration with limited resources.

However, you have to know a couple of important items so that you get a better handle on things.

(1) The reason the cars are being worked on and that some tracks are 'loaned' to the museum crew is due in no small part to the fact that someone high up on the 'food chain' at that facility CARES about the classic subway fleet.

(2) Because the CI Yard is a 24/7 operating facility, those that work on the vintage equipment are not allowed to just come into the place on a whim. There are only allowed one or two days out of the week to work on the cars. AND they must wear all regulation safety equipment and abide by all rules govening the shop while they are there.

by Long Island 7285

BMT,
I totally Agree, i actully went to the shops once and got the ture and stuff, just havent had time to go back.

i was just using that as an example to build on, the LIRR shop that im thinking of if i beleive not in service and the transfer table accessing it is OOS as well. so i was thinking of restoring that structure and the transfer table, and use that shop building to do all the major work to the LIRR meuseum fleet and use it to store equpt that can not be out in riverhead due to space. its a clever idea and needs many compromises. and can and should be a resorce used if RMLI cant take over the calveton site witch will be easier in transportation for most RMLI members.

its a huge option with a historical LIRR signifigance, thats why I thout this one up. we all here know all to well that there are very few "real" LIRR employees. the majority seem to be the type that just want a job and money, and dont always love there job. its not like years ago and never will be.

everything today is about the buck and the buck only. look at baseball, its no more true player pride. its all about the money, all sports and jobs. thats partly why prices are so dam high along with many other factores.

by n2qhvRMLI

Hello Long Island 7285, LIRRNOVA55, Bagpiper and fellow Forum members,

I appreciate your enthusiasm and desire to forward railroad preservation on Long Island. As one member of the Railroad Museum of Long Island’s Board of Trustees I’d like to share my thoughts on RMLI’s use of the Morris Park Shops.

First and foremost, BEDT 16 hits the big nail on the head. The majority of our volunteers find it easier and more expedient to come to Riverhead to work on preservation projects than traveling west into Queens. Some volunteers live on the East End, making a trip into NYC a time and travel hardship. Other volunteers living in Mid-Western Suffolk County can make it to Riverhead almost as quickly as the folks living way out East. Riverhead is quite centrally located for Suffolk County.

I’ll admit, for interested volunteers living in Nassau County or Eastern NYC - Riverhead is a long haul. I would encourage you to volunteer at the Friends of Engine 35 site in Oyster Bay. Their work is as important as RMLI’s and all of our Preservation Organizations need new, young blood.

Secondly, and almost as important, RMLI already staffs and operates two sites.

Since our organization in 1990 we have restored and populated the 1892 freight station in the LIRR Greenport Yard. This was done with considerable support of the Incorporated Village of Greenport, including dedication of the entire rail yard, structures and turntable as a New York State Historic District. RMLI and the Twin Forks Chapter of the NRHS (as well as the East End Seaport Museum) are stewards of this Historic District.

In 1998, RMLI received its own property in Riverhead, the old Nassau-Suffolk Lumberyard on Griffing Avenue. We have engaged the MTA in a long-term license to use their adjoining property between ours and the mainline. In seven years we have made tremendous improvements to the property, tearing down old dilapidated buildings, restoring the lumber yard office and turning it into our Visitor’s Center and Organization Headquarters. The 1964 World's Fair train operates there today!

We maintain our backshop across the street in the Riverhead rail yard. It’s true we have to work outside but the first visionaries, the volunteers who started preservation work on the property in the 1970’s had to work out in the elements too. We can do it and we have grand plans for the future.

The planned future of the RMLI is the reason for not moving our work to Morris Park. Much work has already been done to secure RMLI's future on the East End.

We purchased and moved an eighty-six foot turntable to the Riverhead site. This purchase is part of Phase I of a three phase development plan for the Museum. As restoration of the turntable continues, work toward installing it in place of the original seventy-five foot LIRR turntable plods along. Soil bearing tests and surveying work have been completed. Engineering drawings and continued fundraising come next. Phase II includes two tracks radiating north from the new turntable into a modern, safe, state-of-the art restoration shop. Plans include an overhead crane, locomotive inspection pit, drop table and space for our machine tools and equipment. Phase III creates an adjoining exhibit hall with two more tracks radiating north from the turntable into the expansive hall. A mezzanine is in the design, allowing visitors to walk up and view the rail cars and restoration shop from above looking down.

These plans are real. The architect’s drawings are on display at Riverhead. We have received preliminary approval of the design from Riverhead’s Architectural Review Board. Only money holds us back, as it does with every rail preservation organization throughout the country. Currently our focus is on the restoration of Engine 39. Volunteers have begun the arduous task of cleaning and polishing the many individual parts of the locomotive. We hope to release exciting news about Engine 39’s restoration in the weeks ahead and look forward to continuing support from the Railfan community as we move the Museum forward.

To that end, I encourage you to put your energies and funds into the existing Long Island Museums at Oyster Bay, Riverhead and Greenport. Support the Twin Forks and Sunrise Trail Chapters of the NRHS. Volunteer your time and skills to these organizations. Join them as Members. As Clemuel points out, it’s money that gets the job done, every penny of your membership dues keeps these organizations in the preservation business. I appreciate your interest and desire, we need it here, not at Morris Park. Please, come join us now!

Don Fisher
N2qhvRMLI

by Long Island 7285

Very exiting news there,

I knew about the turntable and roundhouse but dident know that there was plans to put cranes and overhaul equpt in there.

will the friends of 35 be utlising 39's shops in riverhead at any time or are they getting there own shops in OB?

when i get the weekend off i will make shure to come out to riverhead to join and work.

by n2qhvRMLI

Hi 7285,

Still surfin' the Net! Good evening!

Hope to see you at Riverhead one day. Yeah, lot's goin' on - the future is bright. Hang in there, it'll happen in your life - I think!

BTW, easy on the brothers and sisters working on the LIRR. I can tell you from experience that eight out of ten RR employees that I've met ARE interested in the history of the LIRR. They do care!

I am always pleased when some of the new trainees come into Greenport and look at the exhibits. Their eyes pop out - they don't get that kind of historical education in their conductors/engineers classroom. Old hands seem to enjoy it too. Many an employee stands at the old rosters we have on the wall and pick out fellow emplyees they used to work with or trained under. They remember "the way it was!"

See you around the yard 7285!

de Don, n2qhvRMLI

by BEDT16RMLI

joe, you would join RMLI but not Twin Forks? And after all the fun we had lol,
Mike Arnold
Secratary
Twin Forks Chapter NRHS
www.twinforksnrhs.org

by Long Island 7285

Mike, both

ill put the money in both man. its a team, if all the preservation groups work together things might happen.

by MACTRAXX

Clem and everyone: In this situation-UNITED WE STAND-We all agree about preserving LIRR history here. Personally I would like to see one of the C420s brought back and used between Riverhead and Greenport with the Pullman coaches restored to 60s livery. I would like to see RMLI and the OB rail museum be successful. As a member of LIST-NRHS,we should all get together and make the bureaucrats at the MTA realize "You don't realize what you have until it is gone" CLEMUEL - You tell it EXACTLY like it is - I enjoy reading your posts about LIRR topics. THANKS TO YOU AND ALL - MACTRAXX