• Saucon Yard...all condos!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

A drive over I-78 today revealed that Saucon Yard has been transformed into what the area really needs. More condos. I remember 1995 when it was full of Conrail coal hoppers.

by Irish Chieftain

They'll be sorry.

by Sir Ray

Alas, that's often what happens when the defining major industry of a city closes down, to be replaced by...hmm, did the 'Beth Works' redevelopment committee ever get their act together?
So, where are the inhabitants of the housing development going to work - a 2 hour Bus ride to Manhattan?

by carajul

Actually, I know quite a few people who live in PA and do the 2-hr commute to NY. I think they're nuts, but you can't get a house in NJ for less than $500k. In PA you can get them for as little as $80k. Most folks I know who live in central NJ are fleeing out in droves.

by Irish Chieftain

Sir Ray wrote:Alas, that's often what happens when the defining major industry of a city closes down, to be replaced by...hmm, did the 'Beth Works' redevelopment committee ever get their act together?
That situation is a microcosm of the major problems facing the entire country. Too much detail to expound on in a forum like this…
So, where are the inhabitants of the housing development going to work - a 2 hour Bus ride to Manhattan?
Ah yes, good old Trans-Bridge, who keep raising fares in spite of garnering more and more business. (Their route to NYC used to be NJ Transit route 350, in fact.) Pity that Conrail un-separated the CNJ and Lehigh Valley RR, because now, a passenger train bound for NJ/NYC will have to share that busy line…

by cjvrr

carajul wrote:Actually, I know quite a few people who live in PA and do the 2-hr commute to NY. I think they're nuts, but you can't get a house in NJ for less than $500k. In PA you can get them for as little as $80k. Most folks I know who live in central NJ are fleeing out in droves.
Heck you can have my updated 3 bedroom 1 & 1/2 bath in Butler, NJ for $340,000 plenty of others around that area for that (little) or much depending upon how you look at it. Nice neighborhood too. Can walk to the bus stop. So all of NJ is NOT $500,000 plus.

But I won't argue the point that you get more for your money in PA. Those that wish to commute extreme distances should also factor in commuter costs in their decision to move there, but most don't do that.