• SAR training film

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by philipmartin

John can say whether or not it's typical of Spoornet, but it reminds me of myself dealing with the public. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N29oGGOFxzc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by johnthefireman

Very good. I'm just surprised that it is in English, as Spoornet was an Afrikaans stronghold.
  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote:Very good. I'm just surprised that it is in English, as Spoornet was an Afrikaans stronghold.
It doesn't all sound like English to me, for instance there's a lot of "thank you, dankie," and I caught a "meneer" too. That's my complete Afrikaans vocabulary. There are other bits here and there that I suspect are Afrikaans also. But, of course, I have to defer to you on this, John.
Last edited by philipmartin on Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by johnthefireman

Yes, there are occasional Afrikaans phrases, but the basic language of the video is English, which was not the case with Spoornet. I knew a couple of steam drivers from one of the big loco depots who told me there were over 250 drivers there of whom only three were English-speaking. The training manuals were written in Afrikaans and eventually translated (badly!) into English. A lot of the commands over the radio are still given in Afrikaans, although it is changing.