• Santa on the west side of NASSAU Tower

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by R36 Combine Coach

BuddR32 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:13 am BMW by the mail truck is 1992 or later
A E36 3-series. The USPS logo is 1995 or later.
  by MACTRAXX

Steve: What are the two visible NY Liberty plate numbers in the photo?
I have not been able to read them on my device...The letter/number codes can be another date tipoff...
I am in agreement with the thought of mid to late 1990s here with these other observations...MACTRAXX
  by krispy

Holiday ornaments were forbidden on the tower exteriors, unless specifically authorized by the company on a major tower such as Jay or/and Hall. Sometimes someone would attempt it but it took one customer complaint and down they came. Strings of lights and a small "Charlie Brown" tree may be tolerated inside, but that was it. Operators were specifically forbidden to use ladders, so hanging that Santa was beyond the capabilities of the operator. That one may have been a joint effort of both signal and the track gang, as joint efforts could avoid punishment better and with the ladder concealed/stowed away, it would last the initial effort to take it down. Being out of eyesight of passing commuters helped that specific Santa, but I could see someone at Mineola station chirping about it.

The train order platform shown in that picture was gone by the very early 2000's, if that helps.
  by Kelly&Kelly

Traditionally, it was the maintainers or the Track Department that decorated. The creche built at JAY for four decades was a joint effort of Track and Signal.
  by nyandw

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:24 am
BuddR32 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:13 am BMW by the mail truck is 1992 or later
A E36 3-series. The USPS logo is 1995 or later.
Web info indicates the logo came into play in 1993? For example: "...The 1993 the current “sonic” eagle was introduced as the new corporate logo to capture the ethos of a modern era which continues today...."
Anyone?