• Salzburg; "Rooms With A View"

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by philipmartin

dowlingm wrote: In the US movement of freight using catenary power delivery would only work where there is sufficient low-height traffic to be pulled
I imagine that we used to run trilevel auto racks in PRR electrified territory. The PRR had a yard that served the GM auto plant in Linden, NJ. I don't know which side of Linden Yard the bridge to Staten Island is, but auto racks out of Linden would have been heading west. The attached picture is of the PRR Doremus Avenue yard in Newark, NJ which has a lot of auto racks in it. The PRR South Kaearny yard loads truck trains. Maybe it loaded double stacks.
Here is contrary information though, on the RR.NET NJ Transit forum probably, on the topic "NEC and doublestacks." John Gaughran- Jtgshu was an NJ Transit engineer, a prolific poster here whose sudden death August 26th 2013 shocked many of us.
by Jtgshu » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:19 pm
Its been a while, but in late 2001, early 2002, CR sent a train out of Oak Island yard in Newark, NJ on the NEC with a double stack. It made it as far as the former Staten Island RR bridge in Linden NJ..........the bridge stopped it!

IIRC, the clearance charts CR had were never updated with the various trackwork/rail/tie replacement over the years. They had info that showed it would have cleared, where in reality, it didn't.

the worse part was was that it was on the inner tracks, which yanked down the wire on the outer tracks, and basically the entire NEC through Northern NJ was shut down for the night. It was QUITE a mess!!!!

Other than NYP, I BELIEVE that is one of the lowest points on the NEC, at the SIRR bridge. I think the other really low clearance points are down by Philly.
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"

Jtgshu

John says "the clearance charts CR had were never updated." Maybe that's why the PC or Conrail tried to put a train of loaded trilevels through Weehawken tunnel one time, over the protests of the engineer. It got part way through and ground to a halt, making convertibles of the cars on the top level. I heard that the railroad officials got the damaged cars, which were expensive cars.
For more on this on RR.NET google "NEC and doublestacks."
  by philipmartin

ExCon90 wrote:The Great Northern, Virginian, and Boston & Maine all had stretches of electrification for various distances
Another prominent US railroad electrification was that of the New York Central RR, between Harmon, NY and New York City, (Grand Central Station,) 32 miles along the east shore of the Hudson River, under running third rail. It is still operated, but by the state of New York as Metro-North/MTA, (Metropolitan Transportation Authority), passenger only, CSX handles the freight.

And yet another well known electrification is that of the Long Island RR, now operated as MTA/LIRR, almost completely passenger; 750 V DC over running third rail electrified between Penn Station, New York and much of Long Island. It runs hundreds of electric and dual power trains in and out of Penn Station daily.

1) Metro North along the Hudson River north of electrified territory.

2) New York Central Class T-2b, was built by General Electric in May 1917. The small pantographs are for use in terminal third rail gaps.
Don's Rail Photos

3) LIRR mu's. Note the PRR style position light signals on the signal bridge in the background. Enlarge the picture to see them clearly. The Pennsy controlled the LIRR from 1900 to 1966.
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote:. Possibly the "attendants" you saw got off at the Border. I never travelled in East Germany and only visited Berlin after reunification. The nearest I got was in Luebeck where the ferry from Sweden travelled up the river next to the fence.
Around 1970 I got a ferry from Trelleborg, Sweeden to Sassnitz, East Germany, and a train from there to Berlin. When we arrived in Berlin, instead of going with the other passengers, I went through the wrong exit to have my passport checked. I handed it in at a little cube shaped office with no other windows and it was half an hour before I got it back. I had been a clerk in the army Counter Intelligence Corps about ten years earlier and had been advised not to travel in Communist countries because they knew who we were. I wonder if that was why it took so long to get my passport back.
From Germany I headed to Holland for a brief visit, and leaving Berlin then is when I noticed the Hammer & Sickles on the trainmen's uniforms.

1) "East German Nationale Volksarmee changing-of-the-guard ceremony, East Berlin."
Goose-steppers remind me of the corps de ballet.

2) John Cleese in Fawlty Towers
  by Gilbert B Norman

Don't know how this videographer gets his access, but 1:37:00 Traveling Eastward from Bludenz to Innsbruck. This is over both sides of the Arlberg Pass and includes the St. Anton-Innsbruck route taken by the Microsoft Train Simulator "Orient Express".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OmRlMR05bs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by philipmartin

Superb scenery. Thank you.
  by Gilbert B Norman

It seems as if a journey to "Disneyland on the Salt" has become addictive to me.

This year, I note that the Hotel Europa is fast losing its "rooms with a view, as along Rainierstrasse immediately opposite the tracks, a "mixed use" facility is a-building. Apparently everything but a hotel will be part of it, however, if a hotel were part of such, there would be the penultimate "room with a view".
  by ExCon90

There was an Austrian archduke named Rainer, who had a hotel in Vienna named after him--the Erzherzog Rainer.
  by philipmartin

Perhaps the Rainierstrasse is named after him.
  by ExCon90

That's what I was wondering--with no i after the n.
  by philipmartin

Apparently there is. Here is a sentence from the translated German language article on the Archduke. "In Salzburg is also a Rainerstraße reminiscent of the regiment of Archduke." This is the link to it. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainer_vo ... 6sterreich_(1827%E2%80%931913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is a hotel, part of the "mixed use" complex I previously noted, under construction that will offer unobstructed views of "the action".

http://www.ipp-hotels.at/hotels/arte-hotel-salzburg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Opening during '19
  by Gilbert B Norman

philipmartin wrote: Here's a shot of St. Bartholomae's chapel in the Berchtesgadener Land district of Bavaria, near Salzburg. Enjoy the Mozart!
Mr. Martin, I'm pleased you were able to get that photo on the Königssee. This year, I took a bus tour billed as that and Bechtersgarten. I wanted to do the Salt Mine, but was disqualified account age.

So I ended up with, to be gratuitous, a Bus ride to two tourist traps. To take a boat ride was off limits as you would miss the bus home (also wouldn't have time for the junk shops for which I suspect the tour company was "cut in on the take".

Better ways to have spent that €42,00.