• Sacramento's Silver Palace Restaurant

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by dgpile

Heading out on the CZ at the end of the month for a few days of no pager and total change of pace while I "ride and bide my time" to quote David Mallett.

Has anyone visited the California State Railway Museum and checked out the Silver Palace Restaurant? Just curious if it is a nice place for either lunch or supper while visiting Old Sacramento.

TIA,
  by tomfuller

I never seem to be in Old Sacramento when the museum is open. I have checked out the locos and railcars that are on the outside. The Silver Palace doesn't even show up on the list of Old Sac restaurants. There are several good restaurants in and very close to Old Sac. My wife and I were there on Sunday before Memorial Day and had a great meal and Jazz show at the Hard Rock Cafe. The Firehouse restaurant also comes highly recomended.
The eastbound CZ leaves Sacramento shortly after 10AM and the westbound pulls in in the evening so you may have to be in he city the day before to see the Museum and choose a restaurant. I also have a suggestion on a cheap place to stay in Sacramento if interested you may PM me.
Tom Fuller
Crescent, OR
  by dgpile

Thanks Tom, but I'm all set on accomodations within walking distance of Old Sac and other museums of interest to me.

You have to really search to find reference to the restaurant inside the old Central Pacific Station, even on the museum's web. You have to look closely to see that it is even open and I, too, was surprised to see only minor listings without any reviews of the place. If I stop in to rest my knee mid day and survive a meal I'll report back.

http://www.californiastaterailroadmuseu ... asp?ID=103

-Jester
  by RichM

I'm not sure if this is any help whatsoever... from an east coast guy. But sine you haven't gotten much of a response...

I visited the museum on a Saturday about three years ago, this sounds like the place I ate in. Looked like your average two-story saloon from a TV show, if that's the place. On the walk between the parking lot and the museum.

I ate on the porch upstairs if I remember correctly, just sandwiches and burgers, nothing particularly unique, except for the very fresh fruits and vegetables that perhaps the California folks take for granted but were still a treat for me.

Rich