• Run Times - Bingo to Little Ferry?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Lackawanna484

Can anybody suggest what the average run times have been for NYSW trains from Bingo to Little Ferry? With all the work going on in various places, I'd expect times are a little better than they used to be.

It used to be about 3.5 hours from Bingo to Port Jervis, if your train was made up already.

Then another hour or 90 minutes from PJ to Pelton Road / Warwick. The engineer would often notify Cooperstown when he was entering the Southern Division.

If there wasn't any switching at Sparta Junction, figure another 90 minutes from Pelton to Beaver Lake, then a half hour to Butler.

Good day (out of Bingo OK, no problems on the Delaware Division, no stabbing at Port, no switching at SJ) you could make the run in 8 hours. Bad day, you get relieved at Port...

Are these numbers still sound?

by trainfreak

I think today the average run is about 10-11 hours. I know the SU100/Q156 left Bingo last night at 2130 and was down in Little Ferry ready for CSX at 0830. So your pretty close but there is track work on the Southern Division Main now so there may be speed restrictions. I am not sure though.

by rcbsd45

Running Times are GENERALLY: Bingo to Port Jervis, 3-3.5 hrs; Port Jervis to Warwick(Pelton Rd) about 2 hrs; and Warwick to Little Ferry 2.5-3 hrs. Lots of variables, such as tonnage, HP, weather, slow orders, etc... I have ridden between NJ and Bingo several times and the average seems to be between 8 and 10.5 hours, on the whole... again as they say, "Times shown are for information only and do not constitute a guarantee of service"....

by trainfreak

I guess it also depends on when they get to Hudson Junction or Port Jervis and whether or not there is a commuter train rush. Will the road trains be held outside of those two points if there is a lot of NJT/MN stuff to come through?

by rcbsd45

There IS a "window" that is figured in to the departure times of the trains from both Little Ferry and Binghamton. Usualy, the goal is to be off NJT by 4AM, when the AM trains start eastbound, and there is one for the evening westbound "rush", usually around 4PM. Sometimes, if the trains have the HP and tonnage, the DS will run them in the middle of the peak traffic periods, but its done on a train by train basis.... Recall that most of the traffic between Campbell Hall and BC(east end of Port Jervis( is single tracked, and therefore if NJT can minimize or even eliminate the possibility of disruptions to their traffic by outside forces, they will do what has to be done....
  by jmp883

As a former NJT train dispatcher trainee on the Mainline/PVL/ST desk (as well as a lifelong railfan) let me see if my memory serves me correctly, 2002 was a long time ago. When there was an SU-100 at Port Jervis when we started 1st trick at 630am, the usual procedure was to let it sit until after 9am. The morning rush ended at 9am, especiallly for the Port Jervis-based eastbounds. The Tier was generally empty between Port and Hudson Jct until the afternoon rush hour except for track maintenance and HO-8 coming out of Campbell Hall. This was variable dependent on track maintenance, length/weight of the SU-100 in question, and whatever other issues were occuring at that time. There were a couple of times where we ran an SU-100 in between the eastbound commuters by either jumping them from siding to siding along the Tier or, if the train was small enough and had enough power, to let it run right to Hudson Jct from Port nonstop. That was not the usual routine, though.

For the SU-99, it was basically the same, just going westbound. I don't remember running very many SU-99's while working 2nd trick, 230pm-1030pm. Usually they were still working west on their own line near the end of the 2nd trick. I never worked the 3rd trick, which is when the SU-99's usually ran Hudson to Port but I would think they probably had a fairly clear shot once on NJT at that time of night.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

by Lackawanna484

Thanks for all the info!

by trainfreak

Heads up. Tonight/tomorrows SU100/Q156 has a CP wide cab on the point. I just thought i would let yall know.