• Rumford Branch (1st post!)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC 310

Hi there!

I've been railfanning the terminus of the Rumford Branch on and off for a few years now, but with the low level of traffic we see up in our neck of the woods it has been, at times, difficult. I've taken a more systematic approach to it in the last few months, but I'm still confused about some things (I understand that with Guilford, this isn't unusual!)

First, does anyone have any idea as to when trains would come up the branch? I have a pretty good feel for when they head out from the Rumford/New Page (Mead/Boise Cascade/whatever) yard, but I haven't been able to figure out when they arrive there.

Also, in some of my recent trips out I've chased trains through the Peru-Canton area running at 30 mph. Previously (say, a year ago) I'd seen trains crawling through that area of the branch at 7-10 mph, although I admit that had been at night. Does anyone know if Guilford upgraded this trackage or something?

As far as railfanning goes, I've heard nasty things about Guilford but the only time I've ever had a problem was when my dad and I went out and photographed the Rumford yard in detail when I was 11, and then they called the mill's security (in retrospect, we were trespassing - big time). I've found the crews up here to be very friendly as long as you stay out of the way and make it clear (ie, make nice and don't look shady) that you just like trains and are there to take pictures. I usually get a friendly wave out of engineers at grade crossings. Having railfanned in NS in central PA where I go to school, things could certainly be worse.

Finally, a possibly stupid question. I'm taking the Downeaster down to Boston for a Sox game this weekend, and I'm figuring we'll have to pass through Rigby - right? Is there anything visible from the Amtrak route, and if so is there a "better" side of the train to sit on?

Sorry for the long post!
MEC 310

by octr202

Don't know anything about the Rumford branch, but on the DownEaster you'll get a good view of Rigby after you leave the station in Portland. To see it, you'll want to be on the east side (left side facing forward going southbound) to see it, as the passenger main is along the west side of Rigby.

Sitting on that side, you'll also get to see what passes for yards at Dover NH (just a couple tracks) and Lawrence MA (a few more than Dover). If the train's relatively empty, jump over to the right hand side if there's an open seat just before you arrive at North Station, and you'll see Boston Engine Terminal, the MBTA's commuter rail shops, which always have a sizeable collection of equipment hanging around.

by jonnhrr

You might check out the Guilford Rail Sightings Yahoo group - they often have posts on what is going on in District 1:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/G ... s/messages

by MEC 310

Thanks!