• RR workwear: Discussed here!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by HoggerKen

Vitali wrote:
No uniforms. Most roads require shirts with a sleeve, no cut offs. Long pants, and steel toe boots ( the exact type depends upon the road, and your job assignment)
Thanks for the response, HoggerKen.

So CSX lets you wear your own stuff. That's good to know. I've got some lightweight summer shirts and pants and I'll probably get a couple more.
I work for Union Pacific, so my response was of genaric nature.
  by Renslip

Just thought I'd throw in a bit of what I use as a conductor. I wear Carhartt bibs year round (comfortable, plus all the other benefits mentioned), and usually have a Dickies button down shirt underneath (long or short depending on season). Canadian Pacific requires full safety boots (and I would want them anyway). For my foot I've had multiple pairs of the same Terra model, which I keep well waterproofed with dubbin at all times (waterproofs and keeps muck from fouling the leather and wearing it out early). Other PPE is provided by the railroad.

I also prefer to have my radio in a holster on a belt (instead of the vest pocket --- where the clip-mic cable always hangs too loose and creates IMHO a major snagging hazard), and on that same belt I have another small Kuny's pouch that I can stash my pliers, crayon, and whatever in (just easier to throw that on than to always have my pockets full of tools I don't need --- plus I only need to grab "one thing" if I'm walking back suspecting a knuckle.

My grip is the one from Red Oxx that was mentioned before. It really is entirely worth the money! Great volume, easy to keep organised/accessible, and durable doesn't even begin to describe it. They are now making a backpack-style grip for those who prefer that (I may get one myself at some point, been very happy with my standard one).

Outerwear varies widely. I'm in the mountains here, so winter has some pretty harsh requirements. Carhartt is one of a number of good bets. If you are in a place that gets cold I suggest having gear you can layer to get to the proper temp, it's a more flexible approach, and works better than wearing one "fat" layer.

RE: the hickory strip bibs, while I just wear black, many of the other guys in the running trades here wear them. the hats are less common, I can only think of a couple who wear those, and they've been around quite a while. Do yourself a favour and don't go overboard trying to "look like a railroader" when you're starting out. Pocket watches are a pain, but you can get some nice (highly accurate) wrist watches that actually have a "railroad approved" stamp on them (Citizen and Seiko come to mind).

Well...that seems like a sufficiently long first post!
  by HoggerKen

Outerwear varies widely. I'm in the mountains here, so winter has some pretty harsh requirements.

Winter is an important thing to think about in our climes. I have black Carhardts with the red lining, and silk longjohns. Between the two, I am comfortable in and out of the cab. Also have a face mask for those windy days, and silk liners for my gloves, which are 80g of Thinsulate. Always get a size larger. UP provides insulated overshoes with spikes, which are also a size larger than the boot.

All that provides for plenty of air space between layers, and freedom of movement. A lot of guys went out and purchased coveralls, but found them to be far too warm, and hard to work in, even oversized.

Not many folks have to go to that extreme, but there are places like Iowa/Minnesota, which defy the definition of winter, just like up in them mountains. The -30° days get old real fast.
  by litz

-30 .... heh, for the other extreme, try southeast humidity and 106f ...

boots, jeans, t-shirt (or longsleeve) gets real hot, real quick, esp when around all that nice metal that just bakes in the sun.

As an aside, why do RR's paint their equipment so many lovely dark colors? Yeah, they look striking in the railfan photos ... but try climbing on the nose of something painted a dark color, after it's been baking all day, to load sand ... *ouch* !

(and I'm sure the guys in the southwest can report on their experiences on the bacon griddle type weather they get)

- litz
  by Renslip

litz wrote:but try climbing on the nose of something painted a dark color, after it's been baking all day, to load sand ... *ouch* !
As far as interior temp is concerned, I think our units come with more insulation than most of the American RR cabs get. As for climbing on the nose, not my job :) ...not allowed up there without fall protection! :P
  by Means0451

I was wondering what style of boot does Norfolk Southern require for its conductor trainees and conductors? I prefer to wear the pull on boots, but I have not seen any information on what style they allow. Do they have to be lace up or could I wear the pull ons? Thank you for any help you can give me.
  by dus10

I dont know about NS, but CSX only allows lace ups, no pull ons at all. I almost looked over that in my training packet and bought pull ons because thats what i had always wore. I assume that NS would require lace ups too.
  by COEN77

When in training wear a 8 inch lace up w/steel toe. Once you're on your own buy what you want of course if you happen to get injured it'll be brought up. CSX will buy your boots every year upon completion of the Operating Rules test only 8 inch lace up with steel toes. Not a bad list of boots Red Wings, Timberland, Doc Martins ect...I'm sure NS is no different on it's requiements.
  by scooterz66

minimum 6 in. not 8
  by bratkinson

Warning Will Robinson....Warning!!!!

Not all the steel toe boots available in the CSX PPE offering are waterproof! NS may do the same.

In short, if it does not explicitly state that a particular boot is waterproof, IT'S NOT!!!!

Been there, done that!
  by Vitali

They need to be 6", lace up, safety toe (do not have to be steel any more), with a defined heel for CSX.
  by slchub

For what it is worth:

71.7.2: Covers the Ankle
Footwear that covers the ankle will be a boot (either slip on or lace up) of approximately 6
inches or more in height. Employees who routinely work in the field must wear footwear that
covers their ankles. Lace-up boots are required for Transportation Department employees.
Intermodal employees that load and unload trailers/containers are required to wear 6 inch
lace-up safety toed footwear that meets OSHA requirements.

From the UPRR Safety Rules, Effective 0900 Monday July 30, 2007, Includes Updates as of December 4, 2009

CSX Transportation Dept. Safety rule(s):

http://www.amtrakengineer.net/CSXTSafetyRules.pdf

I cannot find a NS safety link. No doubt NS has the same rules for it's T&E. Although not the "official" safety rule(s) for NS, here is a link in regards to their footwear requirements (no mention if for TE&Y and all crafts) as of the publishing date of said article:

http://www.nscorp.com/nscorphtml/bizns/bizNS2-3.pdf

Steel toes were not required on the UP for TE&Y (although Red Wind will only sell you the steel/composite if the company pays for it). Go with the composite toes instead of steel as the steel gets very cold in the snow/ice vs. the composite.

Re:

by racerX1

Matt K Dettman wrote:While we're on the subject, where can one find prescription safety glasses?
Conney.com has safety glasses with 1.25-2.50 cheaters built in for about 15 bucks
  by Gadfly

It used to be before I retired a 6" boot, lace-up, leather and steel toe. To the day I left I HATED those durned things. I've got a brand new pair (about 8 years old now) that I never wore here at home. Stil in the box!!! And I WON'T EVER put 'em on. Those things put bunions on my feet, made me TIRED, they tried to RUIN my feet to "protect" them!!! :( Blankety blanked *%$#@ steel toed things!!!!!!!!! They used to buy us one pair a year; the rest were up to you.

GF
  by bradvols

If you can get your hands on some of the current issue military cold weather gear it is good stuff. Base layer silk weights, mid layer grid fleece, and then top layers of either mid-weight or heavy weight fleece, with gortex over that can be incredibly warm. Tough job is getting set up to be comfortable in the cab but being able to quickly layer up to walk the train.